Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

All of my kids could easily homeschool... if they had three different moms.

Posted by   + Show Post

I've been doing a lot of thinking about the kids and what they need from homeschooling. My conclusions have me feeling really down...

Savannah (14yo) is my little social butterfly. She needs lots of activities, loves going places, meeting new people and trying new things. She learns best on the fly. Lots of co-op classes, field trips, sports would be ideal for her.

Audi (7yo) is type A personality,lol. She thrives best with structure and routine. She likes a well ordered environment, worksheets, reading assignments, writing assignments, ect. A classroom at home is ideal for her.

Bubba (9yo) is my beach bum,lol. He takes a very relaxed approach to life. He has a strong interest in everything science and could happily spend all day watching science videos on youtube or exploring the library for interesting books. He loves math but hates worsheets, assigned reading and writing. He's very outdoorsy and active (climbs everything!) but feels uncomfortable with new places and meeting new people. Unschooling at home with me is perfect for him.

There's just no way I could homeschool all three of them and give everyone what they need. Sigh... I have to admit though deep down inside I'm relieved that Audi is doing so well in school and Savannah wants to try high school. I know she would get so much more from school (activity and social wise) than I can give at home. Still at the same time acknowledging it makes me feel so depressed. I was so sure I could make this work :-(

by on Apr. 15, 2014 at 12:40 PM
Replies (21-26):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Awww!  Wait just a darn minute.  Think about what the poor little balls of some of the full time public school kids looks like! (Okay that sounded dirtier than I meant it to).  Think about the kids who are bullied, think about the kids put down by teachers.  I am right in assuming that you are speaking about your oldest daughter, right?  Wasn't she depressed?  Think about the effects of the school system on a teen with drepession.  Think about the number of teens in the PS system that attempt suicide.  What kinds of scuffs does that cause?  Pulling her out of that situation until she is stronger and better able to cope with it, is a kindness!  Definately not something to beat yourself up over.

Quoting paganbaby:

That's deep...

I really like how you put that! But now I'm wondering how much I dented dd by taking her home. I keep beating myself up over that. Would she have done better if I never pulled her out? If I kept her in school and she failed I would be thinking 'what if' the whole time. I gave it a fair shot but she just really does not want to home school. For her the education part just not matter, she wants the social life that comes along with school. Even at home she doesn't put the effort into it. Sigh... my dented little ball. I gave it my best shot.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Yep, my three reduce me to tears sometimes.  They are so different and need such different things.  You do what you need to do and don't feel bad about it.  Remember the story of the juggler.  Some balls bounce and some balls shatter, so remember which ones youu can drop now and them because your psyche and your health are both made of glass.  Your housekeeping and your errands are totally rubber, they'll bouce for days!  The kids educations are wood.  They'll bounce, but they might have dented in the dropping.  Good luck!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 12:19 PM

That seriously made me laugh! LOL

You are so right! Even to this day I still bear the scars. Public school really did a number on me. I wanted so badly to protect her from that.

Wait a minute. I seriously just had an epiphany after reading the part in purple. I've been thinking about this the wrong way. I thought homeschooling her was the best thing to do to get her grades up. But her grades weren't the main issue. Her depression was. When I pulled her out the first thing we did (after a week of disastrous HSing) was give her time to de-school. That two months off changed everything. She was happier, more relaxed, easier to get along with. This whole time I kept thinking just about her education when I should have thinking about her.

Now she wants to go back to high school for the experience, not the education, but that's okay. I'm a freakin unschooler for Bobssake. Doesn't that center around choice? She will learn what she learns. It's no different than Bubba deciding the he doesn't want to do reading or writing for school. If the need arises, they'll learn what they need. 

Wow,I feel so much better! You rock!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Awww!  Wait just a darn minute.  Think about what the poor little balls of some of the full time public school kids looks like! (Okay that sounded dirtier than I meant it to).  Think about the kids who are bullied, think about the kids put down by teachers.  I am right in assuming that you are speaking about your oldest daughter, right?  Wasn't she depressed?  Think about the effects of the school system on a teen with drepession.  Think about the number of teens in the PS system that attempt suicide.  What kinds of scuffs does that cause?  Pulling her out of that situation until she is stronger and better able to cope with it, is a kindness!  Definately not something to beat yourself up over.

Quoting paganbaby:

That's deep...

I really like how you put that! But now I'm wondering how much I dented dd by taking her home. I keep beating myself up over that. Would she have done better if I never pulled her out? If I kept her in school and she failed I would be thinking 'what if' the whole time. I gave it a fair shot but she just really does not want to home school. For her the education part just not matter, she wants the social life that comes along with school. Even at home she doesn't put the effort into it. Sigh... my dented little ball. I gave it my best shot.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Yep, my three reduce me to tears sometimes.  They are so different and need such different things.  You do what you need to do and don't feel bad about it.  Remember the story of the juggler.  Some balls bounce and some balls shatter, so remember which ones youu can drop now and them because your psyche and your health are both made of glass.  Your housekeeping and your errands are totally rubber, they'll bouce for days!  The kids educations are wood.  They'll bounce, but they might have dented in the dropping.  Good luck!

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:45 PM

I cheered as I read this!!!!!!!  Yeeehaaaw momma!  You got it!She's stronger and more centered.  She knows what she wants.  She knows what she can do if it comes unraveled.  She's prepared!  And that's the very best thing you can do for her!!

Quoting paganbaby:

You are so right! Even to this day I still bear the scars. Public school really did a number on me. I wanted so badly to protect her from that.

Wait a minute. I seriously just had an epiphany after reading the part in purple. I've been thinking about this the wrong way. I thought homeschooling her was the best thing to do to get her grades up. But her grades weren't the main issue. Her depression was. When I pulled her out the first thing we did (after a week of disastrous HSing) was give her time to de-school. That two months off changed everything. She was happier, more relaxed, easier to get along with. This whole time I kept thinking just about her education when I should have thinking about her.

Now she wants to go back to high school for the experience, not the education, but that's okay. I'm a freakin unschooler for Bobssake. Doesn't that center around choice? She will learn what she learns. It's no different than Bubba deciding the he doesn't want to do reading or writing for school. If the need arises, they'll learn what they need. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting paganbaby:

That's deep...

Quoting bluerooffarm:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

You made my day!!! hugs

You are absolutely right. I'm so glad I talked you!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I cheered as I read this!!!!!!!  Yeeehaaaw momma!  You got it!She's stronger and more centered.  She knows what she wants.  She knows what she can do if it comes unraveled.  She's prepared!  And that's the very best thing you can do for her!!

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting paganbaby:

That's deep...

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Precious333
by Julia on Apr. 19, 2014 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Imagine how it woulf be if they were in a large classroom with many kids with many different personalities! Lol btw. I think its good to stretch kids and allow them to work outside yheit comfort zones. They can learn from.eachother.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Glad I could help.  Perspective helps sometimes.

Quoting paganbaby:

You made my day!!! hugs

You are absolutely right. I'm so glad I talked you!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting paganbaby:

That's deep...

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN