Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm looking for a good writing program or ideas for high school level?

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 12:32 PM
  • 13 Replies

I need some ideas to improve Missie's writing, particularly essay writing.

by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this

My favorite high school stuff.... Writer's Inc with the workbook/journal whatever they are calling it now.  And Eats Shoot and Leaves (for fun grammar).

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 12:54 PM

I LOVE Eats Shoots and Leaves (both the adult and the kid versions!)!!!!

romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 2:04 PM
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 2:30 PM

IEW is, hands down, always my top pick for writing for grades 3+. They have an excellent essay writing course for high school, from what I understand.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

jen2150
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 3:00 PM
We use write shop and enjoy it. I don't know what the high school level is like. I would have read a lot of different essays and study them. Personally I think reading is one of the best ways to learn how to write well. Most avid readers make wonderful writers. I looked in IEW before but it was just too pricey for me. I don't usually spend that much on all my subjects combined for both of my boys. Although this year that may not be true since I splurged a little more than usual. We also just started Life of fred language. I really enjoy it and I am having my kids pick extra writing assignments to do along with it. I hope you find something that works.
TidewaterClan
by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 8:40 PM

The lady who wrote the Brave Writer curriculum is having a writer's workshop for homeschool teachers in Cincinnati in June.  I'm going to that so I can get some great ideas.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 18, 2014 at 11:00 AM

I love that book/journal

Quoting bluerooffarm:

My favorite high school stuff.... Writer's Inc with the workbook/journal whatever they are calling it now.  And Eats Shoot and Leaves (for fun grammar).

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 11:58 AM
That's the thing. Missie reads at a very high level and rate. She hates writing, though and it shows. She needs to be able to write essays at least somewhat comprehensively.

Quoting jen2150: We use write shop and enjoy it. I don't know what the high school level is like. I would have read a lot of different essays and study them. Personally I think reading is one of the best ways to learn how to write well. Most avid readers make wonderful writers. I looked in IEW before but it was just too pricey for me. I don't usually spend that much on all my subjects combined for both of my boys. Although this year that may not be true since I splurged a little more than usual. We also just started Life of fred language. I really enjoy it and I am having my kids pick extra writing assignments to do along with it. I hope you find something that works.
TidewaterClan
by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Writer's Inc is from the Write Source folks?  I've looked through it, and their younger levels are visually fun and entertaining.  I'll look at the older version for Haley next week.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Me too, I bought it for my honors classes when I taught high school.  (Out of pocket)

Quoting KickButtMama:

I love that book/journal

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)