Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Grade 2 Math

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 8:16 PM
  • 4 Replies

I've been checking out a couple of different math programs but I'm not sure what to use. My DD is pretty good at math usually but this year she has been in public school and for a variety of different reasons her skills have slipped. Now I'm trying to find something to bring her back up to her actual skill level and also make it fun. She tends to need the visual and manipulative appraoch first but once she's gotten it she's good. So the programs I'm looking at are  MCP Math by Pearson, Math-U-See, and Math in Focus.  So what are your opinions on these?

by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 8:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 9:39 PM

We love Math U See!!  Second grade would be the Beta book.  They run things in a bit of a different order, but I like it.  They cover addition all the way through until the kids are adding multiple digits then pick up subtraction.  So my middle boy (1st grade) has only done 2 lessons in subtraction and we are nearly done with the Alpha book.  It's a mastery program and very hands on and visual.  So it hits a number of learning styles at once, always a plus if you are teaching more than one or plan on reusing it for another child later.

AJ_Parks
by Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 9:43 PM
We also use Math-u-see. So far we like it. My DD will be moving on the beta in about a week. We also use a lot of math games to try and make it fun.
oahoah
by Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 4:35 PM

We just started math-u-see for my boys (ages 4, 6, 9). My 6 y/o is advanced in math and my 9 y/o has a hard time so they are using the same level (Beta). I think it's been 2-3 weeks and we love it! Even my 4 y/o who does his primer workbook, although not everyday, likes it but he's always been into numbers like his 6 y/o brother.  I have also heard good things about RightStart Math as being very hands-on and having fun games (we selected this because it's less "stuff" and cost less).  I will say that I purchased 2 sets of the blocks because the guide said if you are using with more than 1 child it is easier to have 2 sets and after the initial week the blocks have not been touched!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 4:42 PM
Math u see is really an easy learn. Each book gets a little more intense with learning, but you will doubt it the first quarter or so because it will be soooo easy.

Then the last couple lessons introduces something fun and a bit easier again with some review through out. There are extra pages for practice on their website too.

Also, its easy to breeze through the lower levels and be ahead of yourself so you can slow down when needed.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN