Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Confused about Social Studies

Posted by   + Show Post
I'm trying to decide what to do with my son next year for 2nd grade. In public school here Social Studies builds from my family, my community, my state, American geography and history, and then world history, but homeschooling Social Studies seem to start with ancient history. Can anyone explain the rationale behind starting with ancient history so young?
by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 11:17 AM
Replies (21-30):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this

We covered small bits of modern stuff while we focus on ancient history.  So while we talked about Ancient Greece and the way the men would come together and vote on the city-state affairs, we would talk about the portions of our Democratic-republic resembles those meetings.  I think doing it that way lets my kids see how the ancients influenced our society and pushes them even farther into the World-Citizen camp.  

Quoting kirbymom: I love the 2 sides of thought you put out. I actually do both. I started with world history then followed up with american history to show the different thought processes and why as well as the effects of their thinking.
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Rationale for starting ancient:  Kids that learn world history first get an appreciation for themselves as citizens of the world.  They are more likely to think of their own culture in terms of how it fits into their world view.  While kids who learn about their own family and community first are more likely to think of their own culture as the "right way" to do things.  

Rationale for teaching local family and community first:  The child begins with what they are already familiar with, the stuff they know.  They learn to interact within their community right from the beginning and then are more likely to continue interacting with that community.

Both have their good and bad points, but I chose to do the ancient history and cultures forst because I believe in this era it is more likely for people to move around and more likely for people to interact across cultural boundaries and I wanted my kids better prepared for that.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 4:41 PM

For my young boys I try to keep our history and science objectives very vague.  (This year we covered the middle ages) My history objectives were: 

The student will explore the historical era beginning with the Fall of Rome and ending with the colonization of the New World.  

The students will continue learning to utilize political and geographical maps while discovering the ways the maps changed during the exploration of the World.

The Students will define new geographical terms and begin to label these terms on geographical maps.

The students will discover new social systems such as the feudal system and the order of the Samurai and connect these systems to our own political systems and community planning.

We are actually not quite at the colonization of the new world since I thought it might be better to start off there next year.  There is a bit of room to not get things quite finished.

Quoting Nashuasmom:

So Social Studies, History and Geography are considered one and the same? I've been trying to figure this out for some time.

This post has been informative on what to teach, but I'm trying to figure out how to write my educational objectives and what goes under what category.

I was thinking I would do history and tie geography in with that, but then Soc. would be more like civics and studies of present day cultures.

Is this a state or district thing or a schooling thing in general?

Thanks!

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 5:58 PM
That's really impressive. I don't think my son could grasp that yet, but I like the idea of tying in the modern with the ancient.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We covered small bits of modern stuff while we focus on ancient history.  So while we talked about Ancient Greece and the way the men would come together and vote on the city-state affairs, we would talk about the portions of our Democratic-republic resembles those meetings.  I think doing it that way lets my kids see how the ancients influenced our society and pushes them even farther into the World-Citizen camp.  

Quoting kirbymom: I love the 2 sides of thought you put out. I actually do both. I started with world history then followed up with american history to show the different thought processes and why as well as the effects of their thinking.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Rationale for starting ancient:  Kids that learn world history first get an appreciation for themselves as citizens of the world.  They are more likely to think of their own culture in terms of how it fits into their world view.  While kids who learn about their own family and community first are more likely to think of their own culture as the "right way" to do things.  

Rationale for teaching local family and community first:  The child begins with what they are already familiar with, the stuff they know.  They learn to interact within their community right from the beginning and then are more likely to continue interacting with that community.

Both have their good and bad points, but I chose to do the ancient history and cultures forst because I believe in this era it is more likely for people to move around and more likely for people to interact across cultural boundaries and I wanted my kids better prepared for that.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 6:08 PM
I have always enjoyed history. 8)
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure exactly how much my younger 2 do grasp. But they follow along so they'll at least have heard it now and can grasp it later when we revisit it all in high school.

Quoting Bluecalm: That's really impressive. I don't think my son could grasp that yet, but I like the idea of tying in the modern with the ancient.
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Well, I prefer world history in general. I do NOT think we need to spend all of the elementary years going over, and over, and over, and over community helpers and american history. I plan to focus this year (kindergarten for my son) on community helpers and american history, and then next year (grade 1) start the world history rotation.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:30 PM

I don't know what everyone else has posted, but from what I've heard, part of the logic behind teaching ancient history first is just the idea of teaching all of history chronologically so kids know when everything actually happened, rather than having to jump all around.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:37 AM
That is what I try to do. Sometimes we end up going off on a bunny trail. lol

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Bunny trails happen to us all the time and in every single subject! LOL

Quoting kirbymom: That is what I try to do. Sometimes we end up going off on a bunny trail. lol
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:32 PM

I always liked starting in order.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)