Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Confused about Social Studies

Posted by   + Show Post
I'm trying to decide what to do with my son next year for 2nd grade. In public school here Social Studies builds from my family, my community, my state, American geography and history, and then world history, but homeschooling Social Studies seem to start with ancient history. Can anyone explain the rationale behind starting with ancient history so young?
by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 11:17 AM
Replies (31-33):
Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:45 PM

I agree with Mem, it really depends on what curriculum you choose on what it starts with.  Not all start with ancient history.

I would guess that if they do start with it, then they are more of a curriculum that flows through the historical time-line chronologically; starting as far back in history as possible and working through to modern times.

SarahinWA
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 6:44 PM
I became sold on the "History in Chronological Order" mindset after reading "The Well Trained Mind" by Susan Wise Bauer. As others have said, having an understanding of the historical timeline gives students somewhere to "hang" things in context as they come up.
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:10 AM
Okay, I think I've decided what to do. I'm going to do our city and state for second grade. There is a lot of history tied to our area so we'll cover that too of course. We can also go on lots of trips around our state.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)