Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is this any good for history? I'm trying to do this piece by piece but so far all we have covered is George Washington. If we continue they way we are going the Boston Tea Party and Paul Revere are next. 

by on Apr. 18, 2014 at 12:25 PM
Replies (11-16):
Codysmom2106
by Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 11:43 AM

I got him Volume 1 Ancient times. Figured I'd start there and if it worked out well I'd work my way through the other 3 volumes. 

Quoting KickButtMama:

We also used it starting with ancient history volume 1 - it had such amazing projects in the workbook. But I never used it for American history, we used it for world history instead.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 12:12 PM

My guys didn't really care for it. Instead we're using disgusting history.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 22, 2014 at 5:43 PM

That was our favorite, we didn't end up using the other volumes (though I got them). I highly recommend getting the workbook as it's chock full of great project ideas. My kids ended up doing an international fair (like a geography fair) with Egypt as their location to display, and they got most of their ideas from the workbook.

Quoting Codysmom2106:

I got him Volume 1 Ancient times. Figured I'd start there and if it worked out well I'd work my way through the other 3 volumes. 

Quoting KickButtMama:

We also used it starting with ancient history volume 1 - it had such amazing projects in the workbook. But I never used it for American history, we used it for world history instead.

Codysmom2106
by Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 8:08 PM

What did you end up doing instead of the other volumes? I did get both. Figured I might as well. The project sounds awesome :) Cody really enjoys projects (the building and putting things together part) lol. 

Quoting KickButtMama:

That was our favorite, we didn't end up using the other volumes (though I got them). I highly recommend getting the workbook as it's chock full of great project ideas. My kids ended up doing an international fair (like a geography fair) with Egypt as their location to display, and they got most of their ideas from the workbook.

Quoting Codysmom2106:

Quoting KickButtMama:

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:18 AM
I think mixed reviews come with mixed ages of children. It is a great curriculum IMO, but the first book was young for my kids. We are doing volume two now and I switched things up and added stuff in since my kids are older. But I am using it as a spine and guide for myself!

The only negative things I have heard about it is that it is too young, and that comes from parents of older kids. It's meant for elementary, and anyone I have heard that used it for that level, has had nothing but good things to say about it. I got lucky and borrowed the first three volumes and workbooks from a friend. The workbooks are definitely good if you want projects and activities. I mostly use the questions, and a project once in a while...but that's because we were trying to get through ancients and Middle Ages in one year. Next year we may slow down a bit and add more projects in. And if I were to have more kids, I would definitely use it with them to start and take our time with lots of projects.
Codysmom2106
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Awesome! Thank you. My son is 8 and in second grade. He really enjoys projects so this may work out well for him. Especially since this is all new material. 

Quoting TJandKarasMom: I think mixed reviews come with mixed ages of children. It is a great curriculum IMO, but the first book was young for my kids. We are doing volume two now and I switched things up and added stuff in since my kids are older. But I am using it as a spine and guide for myself! The only negative things I have heard about it is that it is too young, and that comes from parents of older kids. It's meant for elementary, and anyone I have heard that used it for that level, has had nothing but good things to say about it. I got lucky and borrowed the first three volumes and workbooks from a friend. The workbooks are definitely good if you want projects and activities. I mostly use the questions, and a project once in a while...but that's because we were trying to get through ancients and Middle Ages in one year. Next year we may slow down a bit and add more projects in. And if I were to have more kids, I would definitely use it with them to start and take our time with lots of projects.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)