Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Biology??

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2014 at 7:08 PM
  • 4 Replies

My boys are in 10th grade.  We started Biology and then we found their work load to be a little too much.  So, I decided to kind of break up the subjects.  We have finished Grammar for the year and they have somewhat started Biology back up.

We are using ABeka Biology and I just don't think they are getting much out of it.  I am not really a science person and neither are they.  They also don't really like reading (although they have to do it for school).  They just don't get much out of it.  So, what I've got them doing right now is kind of reading over the text and just giving the definitions of the vocabulary words.

Once they finish this, I am planning on doing some hands on stuff.  But, I am really wanting to spend some time covering each thing.

So, I am looking at kind of doing more like a unit study for each section covered.  I want to spend some time on plants and plant cells, DNA & Genetics (which I am going to really have to find some worksheets or videos for, since I really don't understand it very well), the human body, and animals. I really think that by the time we do all this, we will have enough for 2 years of Biology. I am planning on letting them do some notebooking along with this.  I really think this is the best way for them to learn (and remember) everything.

They really love learning about animals.  Learning about fish is absolutely their favorite.  They have began looking online and finding all different types of fish and printing things off about each one.  They are making a notebook with all this information in it.  This is something that they truly enjoy.  Could I make this into some kind of subject in itself or should I just include it with the Biology.  I told them that they can write different reports on the fish that they discover.  They are also avid fishermen.  One thing I am going to make is a spreadsheet.  It will have things like what type fish they caught, where they caught it, how much it weighed and the length, the temperature outside and of the water when it was caught, the time of year, etc.

Do you think I am on the right track and do any of you science folks have any ideas or websites to help me out?

Thank you.

by on Apr. 19, 2014 at 7:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Have you tried stuff on Khan Academy?  The videos are generally pretty good.  You likely could find materials there for unit study supplement.

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 8:46 PM

I have looked at Khan Academy and I really get aggravated with the layout..lol.

I didn't know until the other day that they even had science, I thought all they did was math..

I will give it another try though.  Thank you.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Apologia has some great biology books. They also have a whole book on fish. Maybe visit a zoo and do an animal journal. They could ask people at the zoo questions they cannot find easily in books. Simple homeschool website has great online science programs.
starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:22 AM

I was looking at Apologia this morning.  I got a new book in the mail and it seems as if they are coming out with a new instructional video for Biology.  It says that it includes all experiments in text.  It won't be out until August though.  So, for around 230.00 I can get the DVD and two text books and tests.  So, this may the option I use. 

If we like it, then I will definitely save it for my daughter's Biology.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN