Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do your kids argue?

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 9:51 PM
  • 26 Replies
Cole went on a sleep over and had a great time except that his friend and older brother fought most of the time. The friends are about 2 years apart and do seem to bicker a lot.
Do your kids? How much? Do you think it's a normal amount?
Mine are dd12,ds9, ds4 and dd2 so I think I have a few things working in my favor. My girls are split by a decade, my oldest is a girl plus she is fairly mature anyway and lastly, my sons don't mind having personal time. We are all people who like a little space.
by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:00 PM
All.the.time. They are 3 years apart, 6 and 3 years old. I'm hoping it will get better when they are a little older. Right now big brother teases little brother to get a reaction, and boy does he. He starts screaming "Wee, wee, wee" and big brother stands there smirking. Big brother gets mad because little brother digs in his stuff.
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:03 PM
Yes! They argue and fight all the time. Dd is 7 and ds is 2.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Ah, yes. The older brother smirk. I have 3 older brothers and hate that smirk! Kol

Quoting Bluecalm: All.the.time. They are 3 years apart, 6 and 3 years old. I'm hoping it will get better when they are a little older. Right now big brother teases little brother to get a reaction, and boy does he. He starts screaming "Wee, wee, wee" and big brother stands there smirking. Big brother gets mad because little brother digs in his stuff.
JadeTigr7
by Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:07 PM

My kids are ds (almost) 10, dd 8 1/2, ds 6 1/2, dd 4 1/2 and dd 13 1/2 months.  The older two and the middle two argue and bicker occasionally.

I think it's a normal amount but really I wouldn't know.  My closest older sister is 15 years older than I am and I didn't grow up with her.  I grew up as an only child, so I have no experience with it.  They don't hate each other though and no one's thrown any punches so I figure we're good so far. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:07 PM
Your son probably wants to do everything she does. Lol

Quoting Dawn07: Yes! They argue and fight all the time. Dd is 7 and ds is 2.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:09 PM
I really think that kids that are close in age argue more.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

My kids are ds (almost) 10, dd 8 1/2, ds 6 1/2, dd 4 1/2 and dd 13 1/2 months.  The older two and the middle two argue and bicker occasionally.I think it's a normal amount but really I wouldn't know.  My closest older sister is 15 years older than I am and I didn't grow up with her.  I grew up as an only child, so I have no experience with it.  They don't hate each other though and no one's thrown any punches so I figure we're good so far. 

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Apr. 21, 2014 at 7:57 AM
Mine are 11 mos apart, 10.5 and 11.5 years old. They fight pretty much constantly. Over everything and nothing. In some ways it is actually comforting to me bc they are not biologically brother and sister. So I figure we are doing a good job of just being one family if they fight, lol. But it is so frustrating for me when I can't even leave the room or take a shower without them screaming at each other. This is easier now that DH isn't working nights, I don't feel like I have to keep them from waking him up. But it is still incredibly annoying that they can't just love each other, lol. I had read that hsing made your kids closer, mine seem to fight more...but they also seem to interact more.

Oh and neither really likes to be alone, so I think that's part of the problem, they don't take breaks from each other. When they were little they used to both leave on the weekends, and they didn't fight much, I think because they automatically got that break from each other. Now dd never eaves and DS leaves like two nights a month, so they are just together as much as any other siblings.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 8:12 AM

Mine argue all the time.  They are best friends and mortal enemies! LOL  They are 5, 7, and 9.  Really there's not much teasing but they argue over the best paths to take on a video game, what to play, how to set the table, how to load the dishwasher, whether to climb a tree, what color the sky is!  LOL  It's not a big deal and listening in they are actually learning a lot.  They are learning how to argue better, how to argue logically (not much of the yaha, nuhuh kinds anymore), how to reach a decision together, etc.  As long as it stays verbal, I don't intervene.  When it gets loud they have to go outside (as we do not yell in the house! :-) ) But I think it's normal. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 8:16 AM
Ok, so maybe we are a bit odd, then. My kids don't really fight much. I mean, they do bicker a little but it seems like they do it less than others. They're close and friends but they as I say, everyone likes a bit of personal space and that helps.
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Mine are just about 10 and 5, and they are constant attack mode with each other. Jamie never wanted a brother, and still to this day will tell people whe will gladly trade him in for a sister. Riley usually is trying to give her a hug, or tell her something, and she'll shove him off her, yell at him that he's annoying her. And then she wonders why he's now only rude with her. None of the shoving or rudeness or fighting is ever condoned by any means, but I kinda feel for Riley...he is totally not wanted by her at all :(. On the other hand, she also always has to know what he's doing and her two cents put in, instead of just leaving him alone when he is clearly content without her... gah. It is frustrating....and has led to my need of getting out of the house alone twice a day for an hour. With hubby's PTSD issues, the kids can NOT bicker for more than about a minute before his timebomb starts ticking, so if it doesn't end almost immediately, then I've got another crank to worry about and deal with :/ I know its bad, but I try to keep the kids seperated as much as possible to just avoid the fighting. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)