Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Does anyone use online homeschool options? I''m considering k12 for my son for next year. He is finishing 3rd grade in public school in Oklahoma and I just feel that it would be a much better option for us. If anyone has any advice or opinions about it, please feel free to share them with me. I'd appreciate it. I've never home schooled before.

by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:35 PM
Replies (11-14):
arctophile
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:43 AM

First, where are you in OK?  I am in Maud :)  Second, we are on year 4 with OK Calvert through Epic.  The program isn't that time consuming.  I have an "advisory teacher" that I can go to with questions, etc but I teach it my own way.  We skip stuff we feel doesn't apply, slow down for stuff that is harder.  I really like it.  I have 4 enrolled for next year.  That being said, my friend tried it with her 4th and 7th grade kids and hated it.  I will have one in 4th next year.

Lil_MissFaye
by New Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:47 AM

I am in OKC. I considered Epic as well. It's proving difficult for me to decide what's best. But as it's been said, I can always pull him out if it's not working.

RTMJDNTARDIS
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 6:59 PM

I liked k12. It is mastery based, and that is awesome. 

But I prefer connections academy, because they offer more. My daughter is taking sign language, and next year wants to take Chinese. k12 does not offer these. (at least at my daughters grade) 

Basically k12 and connections acadmey, are the same thing, just different staff and admin. so its run different, its got some different curricula. things like that. sort of like, 2 different B&M schools. 

But you have to weigh which you prefer. Connections academy has been MUCH more lenient with the fact that my daughter cant handle HOURS of work at a time, so we get our hours in when we can, and CA is fine with that. 

K12 however requires certain hours logged per DAY, and they get grumpy if you don't do it lol. 

Lil_MissFaye
by New Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 12:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I just looked at the Connections Academy site and it looks pretty great. I had never heard of it before. Now I'm wondering if I should go that route instead....

Quoting RTMJDNTARDIS:

I liked k12. It is mastery based, and that is awesome. 

But I prefer connections academy, because they offer more. My daughter is taking sign language, and next year wants to take Chinese. k12 does not offer these. (at least at my daughters grade) 

Basically k12 and connections acadmey, are the same thing, just different staff and admin. so its run different, its got some different curricula. things like that. sort of like, 2 different B&M schools. 

But you have to weigh which you prefer. Connections academy has been MUCH more lenient with the fact that my daughter cant handle HOURS of work at a time, so we get our hours in when we can, and CA is fine with that. 

K12 however requires certain hours logged per DAY, and they get grumpy if you don't do it lol. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)