Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are there any moms here homeschooling special needs kids?

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:16 PM
  • 18 Replies

My son has major delays, a seizure disorder and some behavior issues. I have been lurking but Im wondering if anyone is hs'ing their special needs kids. 
My son has an IEP at public school, so how would all that translate to hs. I am woefully uneducated about this whole process and I am just looking for advice and maybe even a 'you can do this' from other special needs mommies.

by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:18 PM
I do, but my son doesn't have an IEP.
jadedcynic
by New Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:22 PM

My son's IEP was cancelled when we chose to enroll him in virtual school. His IEP was for behavioral issues stemming from his Autism, but didn't really apply to him being at home working on a computer.

Reina13
by Reina on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:28 PM

What about therapies that he receives through the school district. Would he still be able to receive them or would be have to go through our insurance for private therapy sessions?

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 21, 2014 at 4:18 PM

I homeschool both my autism spectrum child and my neuro-typical child. I don't use any of the schools services so an IEP isn't necessary for me. Plus we don't have to do standardized testing here. If we needed to do the constant tests or evaluations I'd keep my IEP. I've found that homeschooling means my son has less outbursts and complications

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 4:56 PM

My son's behaviors are far more manageable at home.  He never had an IEP, but our state's law says that when the kids go home, they don't have access to school support for an IEP.  It's a trade-off for you.  Are the services worth having him in the school? 

Codysmom2106
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:11 PM

I homeschool my son. He had a 504 in ps. They refused to get him an IEP. He has cmt1a, spd and ADHD. He is doing much better now. 

bcogoli
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:19 PM

My 5 yo son has autism and this is my first year homeschooling but I do like it alot more than public school. I am still looking into services for him. You have defiantly come to the right place and you will get some great opinions.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a son on the spectrum. He does just fine.

You can do it!good

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:57 PM
It depends on your district. In mine, no. My son gets private speech and PT. My little one just started speech through Child Search and he can get services until he's 6 since Kindergarten is not mandatory.

Quoting Reina13:

What about therapies that he receives through the school district. Would he still be able to receive them or would be have to go through our insurance for private therapy sessions?

sweetfox3
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 8:49 PM

My daughter has ADHD and anxiety.  Those together were leading her to failure in public school--though she is very smart (smart enough to get into advanced classes).  So, we decided to pull her and homeschool her.  The biggest thing right now is getting her to relax and understand there is no failure...do your best and keep at it until you master the subject.  We are pulling our autistic children next year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)