Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How to get started again.

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 6:57 AM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this
Good morning, on December 2, 2013 my Dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He started getting really sick in February. When Dad got sick Destinay and I would go over there practically daily. I did my best teaching her during that time. Honestly our academics suffered. April 7, 2014 my Dad died. My Dad and I were very close, and it really messed my head up. Then it took the rest of that week and the following week to get my Mom stabilized like with burying Dad and get her widow's benefits all set. Now that she is set, I'm feeling about 50% better and I'm able to start with academics, but right now kids are on vacation. Thailee goes to school and now he's off and when he's home it is a struggle for Destinay to learn. She gets more distracted, and Thailee can be disruptive. So the question is how do I get back in the swing of things? Oh and one more thing, I don't have a particular curriculum yet, I usually plan it myself. I feel very lost in what to do next. Thanks for all the advice.
by on Apr. 22, 2014 at 6:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 7:34 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry for your loss.
*hugs *
How old is your daughter?
I would take a few days and plan out what you are going to do. No sense in not having a game plan. I would get Math and Language together first.
Warn Destiny that you guys are going to start again so she can get herself in the right frame of mind.
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I think Mem's right on.  Get yourself organized, set Destinay up with some expectations, and go easy on yourself.  Everyone handles grief in their own way, but the trick is to keep going.  Hugs to both of you!

Mommynay2
by Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 8:28 AM
Thank you, Destinay is 11. I just feel so set back, now we're practically at the end of the year. I feel we both have so much catching uo to do by June. I've been somewhat unschooling her for the past few months. She was reading recipes, working with fractions, we did some multiplication, but she is no where what I expected her to be. She was extremely helpful around the house and with my parents. We haven't touched geography and civics. I'm so nervous about the end of the year report.

Quoting mem82: I'm sorry for your loss.
*hugs *
How old is your daughter?
I would take a few days and plan out what you are going to do. No sense in not having a game plan. I would get Math and Language together first.
Warn Destiny that you guys are going to start again so she can get herself in the right frame of mind.
Mommynay2
by Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 8:31 AM
1 mom liked this
I try not to go hard on myself, but I get so discouraged. I was thinking of putting her in regular school next year due to this situation. I am a single mom, and I literally have nobody to help me with this.

Quoting hwblyf:

I think Mem's right on.  Get yourself organized, set Destinay up with some expectations, and go easy on yourself.  Everyone handles grief in their own way, but the trick is to keep going.  Hugs to both of you!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 22, 2014 at 10:57 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. **HUGS**
mem is right. Take the time to get a game plan together. Ask Destinay to help you and what she likes to do in math most and what she thinks she needs help with and do the same for english. That will get her involved and helping to set her own curriculum up.
Remember, you are homeschoolers. You go as fast or as slow as is NEEDED. WHEN needed.
**hugs**
kirbymom
by Sonja on Apr. 22, 2014 at 11:14 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. **HUGS**
mem is right. Take the time to get a game plan together. Ask Destinay to help you and what she likes to do in math most and what she thinks she needs help with and do the same for english. That will get her involved and helping to set her own curriculum up.
Remember, you are homeschoolers. You go as fast or as slow as is NEEDED. WHEN needed.
**hugs**
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 1:10 PM

What about starting with some kind of theme day?  Big or small...back to school theme or May Day theme or Mother's Day theme or a color or number, etc.  Do a few fun crafts, math pages, games, etc around that particular day. 

I always seem to be able to get DD back on track with a holiday type day.  Earth Day today, has helped.  She did a little science on the earth and watched an Earth DVD and will do a few worksheets with tree and earth themes.  Sadly, it's raining right now otherwise we were going to go outside to pick up trash, hopefully later today.

Anyway, sometimes it's fun to do a themed day.  A little work for you but it can be really fun for both of you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)