Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

did I waste my efforts? (planning)

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 12:24 AM
  • 13 Replies
My kids are somewhat spread in age and ability. However, I try to combine subjects sometimes to make daily teaching and work easier.

Two subjects I try to combine is science and social studies. However, academics is very important to my dh.

Now that my eldest is going into the 7th grade, dh and I decided to step the game up a bit.

We do better using a curriculum.

So... all of this background to say that I made a plan.

I wrote down all the kids' grades/ages and decided what I wanted to use from now until my youngest is in high school.

I am rotating things so if they do it in kindy, we might do it again their 5th grade year with a younger sibling.

We are using NotGrass, My Fathers World, Apologia, etc...

It took a lot of time, but I'm also open to changing it as needed. However, this plan takes the guesswork out of when to teach what at different times and to which kids.

I also left options for the kids to share areas of interest in high school and a few othet options.

Was it a waste of time to plan 13 years of my curriculum choices?
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 12:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:32 AM

Wow, 13 years.  And I'm struggling with 1 year.  I think having a plan is critical.  I think reevaluating that plan routinely is critical.  You may make changes along the way, but you've got a plan/goal, so that's awesome.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Well, I had planned my spelling curriculum for basically all of elementary school, but then I realized that using spelling tests was not working for us at all.  Zave was learning the words for the week and by 2 weeks later, all of the words were just gone.  So we are completely changing tack next year.

Throwing out the system really drove me nuts, so lesson learned.  I will not plan for more than a year or 2 ahead.

I really hope it works out for you though.  I always prefer having some long-term goals.

Edited to add:  But planning is NEVER a total waste of time!

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:11 AM
I do it too. How else are you supposed to make sure you hit the vitals and have continuity? The key is understanding that the plan is your guide,and to allow for flexibility and room for change. By the time my DD was 5th grade I had her senior year tentatively set. You've got to think ahead.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Wow! That's impressive!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:30 AM

I think I do get a little more long term in planning as my oldest approaches high school. She's in 7th grade this year. I want her to be ready for whatever she decides to study in college.

With my younger kids, I don't plan that far ahead. It's more year by year as I see how fast/slow they go through some subjects.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 12:09 PM

I think having an outline is fine. You have the frame work for the kids which is good. But just make sure you have enough flexibility to change things as needed.

sweetfox3
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 2:17 PM

I think a plan is smart so you have an idea of the direction you want to go.  Just so long as there is room for flexibility...for instance if your child wants to study evolutionary microbiology for a semester, but you wanted to teach about volcanos...science and history are two things that have no real scope and sequence, so can be taught in any order.

Right now, we are winging it until we figure what works for us.

coala
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 12:46 PM

I think it is amazing that you are thinking that far ahead....I'm not sure I could do that.  Just remember to have the flexibility to change and let it go if it isn't working for one your children.  Let this be a guide and not the end all and be all of your choices.

NoraDun
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Are you not doing spelling at all?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Well, I had planned my spelling curriculum for basically all of elementary school, but then I realized that using spelling tests was not working for us at all.  Zave was learning the words for the week and by 2 weeks later, all of the words were just gone.  So we are completely changing tack next year.

Throwing out the system really drove me nuts, so lesson learned.  I will not plan for more than a year or 2 ahead.

I really hope it works out for you though.  I always prefer having some long-term goals.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:11 PM

No we are just not going to do lists and tests.  We are now going back and forth between Spelling U See and All About Spelling.  I think I'm going to let the boys choose.

Quoting NoraDun:

Are you not doing spelling at all?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN