Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

science and history suggestions

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:39 AM
  • 8 Replies
I was talking with my oldest about what he wants to do for history in July. He wishes to study about ancient inventors and mathematicians. I was thinking of starting in ancient history to early middle ages and some early 20th century. We use a living book approach. We also use textbooks that are very well done. I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here so I wanted some suggestions for books and people to study.

Here is what I am thinking of studying. I haven't decided on how long to spend on each person. I may just play that by ear. I also love when our science and history cross over.

Euclid
Archimedes
Imhotep
Fibbonacci
Robert Goddard
Einstein
Newton
Paul Erdos
Leonardo davinci

I know I am forgetting a lot of great ones. We did a whole year on the Wright brothers so we probably skip them this year. Thanks for any help. I am mostly looking for less well known suggestions but all would be helpful. We are doing apologia chemistry and physics so anyone that relates to those areas are very helpful. Thanks again. Hope everyone is having a great week!
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Here's a list of famous women click me

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Madame Curie, Elizabeth Blackwell (medicine), Erwin Schrodinger, Nikolai Tesla.  Don't know if they are really old enough for you though.  They are pretty recent.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you. I am doing some modern as well. I figure once I have a list I can put them in order. Great suggestions. I almost forgot about Shrodinger. My list is growing so large I may have to start before July.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Madame Curie, Elizabeth Blackwell (medicine), Erwin Schrodinger, Nikolai Tesla.  Don't know if they are really old enough for you though.  They are pretty recent.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:39 AM
Thank you for the list of women. Most of them I have heard of or at the very least have forgotten most of them.

Quoting mem82:

Precious333
by Julia on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this
How fun! I am looking forward to teachinf my kids when they are in.highschool! Maybe my mom will let me teach my sister, jk i have too many kids to teach already.lol
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Nice!

Quoting mem82:

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)