Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I have a fear.....

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:14 PM
  • 12 Replies

...that my kids will have to go back to public school eventually and wont be prepared for it. Or that if I homeschool them through school they wont be prepared ready for collage. Can anyone ease this fear?

by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:33 PM

I've had that same fear. The way I look at it, if you're doing your best and they're learning, they'll be fine. 

I can't count how many kids who went through high school and weren't ready for college. Or kids who are in public school who aren't ready for the next year. I was one of them.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:34 PM

How old are your kids btw?

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:34 PM

I have big fears about having to put my kids back in school.  Or succeeding with them.  Lots of worries.  Tackle them one day at a time.  :)

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:38 PM
If you work with your kids and teach them a love of learning and how to find information your children will succeed anywhere because they know how to get the information.
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Both my kids got good scholarships to college.

One dropped out. He hated college but he had a good enough GPA to keep his athletic scholarship. Those are hard to come by and he worked hard for it. He loved being on the team but not the school work. He comes by that honestly. His dad and I both hated college and dropped out.

Our girl has always excelled and been self motivated at scholastic. She was in the honors group but had some health issues so she has had to take a break. She hopes to go back soon.

My point being, they were both prepared for college and homeschooled. It's really not that difficult to get them ready but we all have our fears about homeschooling and college isn't the end all be all of a life journey.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I had the fear of needing to send them back to public school.  I was afraid they would be behind, but now after 3 years of homeschooling and still maintaining contact with some of his public school friends, my fear has moved to having to send him back and him being so far ahead that he's bored.

My point is that you will always have fears about how you are raising your kids.  Just take it one day at a time and try to set that little voice aside when it comes to call.

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 8:49 AM

yes!

But on the other hand, given the cost of college now, I think the norm will be non-traditional students who don't go full-time for 4 years and get a degree. I think people who take time off, or finish in 6 years, or go part time, or start in community college and then transfer is going to be a larger and larger group. So, I try not to worry myself too much about it. I know that colleges will always need money, so some college will accept my kids! And, I also know that if someone wants something, they'll go after it, no matter how difficult. I know my kids are smart enough to cut it in college. SO if they want it, they'll succeed.

YzmaRocks
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't have that particular fear and I'll tell you why.

I am a homeschool graduate, I got into college without a problem.

Hubby is a homeschool graduate, he got into college just fine.

Between us we have 6 siblings, 5 of whom got into college without any problems and one who has yet to graduate from high school (she is 15 and on track to graduate at 17).

I also have several friends who were homeschooled. Every single one of them that wanted to go to college, did go to college. Not every one went, but that was by choice, not because they couldn't.
NoraDun
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 12:11 PM

I have 4 ages 6 mns, 3, 5, and 8. I am only homeschooling the older two this year. Next year I will start my third! So I still have awhile, but I just can't help but wonder if I should send them back! I just dont want to ruin their lives. On the other hand I worry that public school could/would do just that!

Quoting paganbaby:

How old are your kids btw?

NoraDun
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Thanks ladies!! I just can't get over the fear. It comes with the bad days of course!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN