Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Spelling isn't working for us.

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:00 AM
  • 43 Replies

My kids finished their DORAs awhile ago and I finally got a look at the reports.  Apparently, weekly spelling lists and tests are not working for the boys.  I've been seeing the problem coming for awhile now, but the tests really highlighted it.  The boys are learning the words for the tests and then forget them totally.  Many of the words that they missed on their tests were words that they had spelled correctly on their past spelling tests.  Spelling was the lowest grade level on both of their tests, so it's time to shake things up.

So we are going to try Spelling U See next year.

Plus Cathy Duffy reviewed it, so anyone else interested....here's her review!

by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TidewaterClan
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:14 AM

I like the looks of that!  Let us know what you think.

I'm scouring through phonics programs to find a good one for us.  I picked up two workbooks to start with in the meantime.  The DORA was extremely handy. :)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Quoting TidewaterClan:

I'm scouring through phonics programs to find a good one for us.  I picked up two workbooks to start with in the meantime.  The DORA was extremely handy. :)

It looks great, we'll see how we like it.

The DORA was very handy!  If nothing else for calming my worries, LOL!  Other than Spelling, they were above grade level in everything.  

What Phonics are you looking through?

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Let us know how it goes, I am a HORRIBLE speller so I'm anticipating a similar issue.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Quoting Molimomma:

Let us know how it goes, I am a HORRIBLE speller so I'm anticipating a similar issue.

I'll be sure to let everyone know during next school year.

Remember that I am a horrible artist (can't draw a recognizable stick figure!  LOL) but my middle son is an unbelievable artist, so you never know.  :-)

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:47 AM

My son has a really good memory so I'm thinking it will be easy for him to just memorize a spelling list and he might not actually learn the spelling skills. He's memorize math facts, stories, even nonfiction books without even really trying so I can see him memorizing instead if really learning it.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Molimomma:

Remember that I am a horrible artist (can't draw a recognizable stick figure!  LOL) but my middle son is an unbelievable artist, so you never know.  :-)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:52 AM

That's our problem with the oldest!  He just memorizes.  With the math problems he had to show he knew so often that he also learned the concept as well.  We used Math U See to get those results, so I'm hoping Spelling U See will have the same type of building blocks.

Quoting Molimomma:

My son has a really good memory so I'm thinking it will be easy for him to just memorize a spelling list and he might not actually learn the spelling skills. He's memorize math facts, stories, even nonfiction books without even really trying so I can see him memorizing instead if really learning it.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Molimomma:

Lynette
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:52 AM
I have been thinking of trying the same program. Thanks for the review link!
TidewaterClan
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

The DORA was very handy!  If nothing else for calming my worries, LOL!  Other than Spelling, they were above grade level in everything.  

Yep, same here but with Phonics.  There were words they both knew the definitions for that were tough!

I've been extremely happy with everything from Pearson.  We love Reading Street, and the social studies for next year looks excellent.  I'm leaning towards their MCP Plaid Phonics program, but waiting until they have it on sale and looking at Amazon/eBay too.  

Right now we're using workbooks I bought at the education store.  They're printed from Evan-Moore, and are fun to work with.  

I've got a list to check out at the convention tomorrow.  Phonics Road looked interesting until I saw the price!

If you have a favorite I'd love to hear about it.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Lynette: I have been thinking of trying the same program. Thanks for the review link!

You're welcome!  I've been waiting for someone trusted to review it!  LOL

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Yep, same here but with Phonics.  There were words they both knew the definitions for that were tough!

I've been extremely happy with everything from Pearson.  We love Reading Street, and the social studies for next year looks excellent.  I'm leaning towards their MCP Plaid Phonics program, but waiting until they have it on sale and looking at Amazon/eBay too.  

Right now we're using workbooks I bought at the education store.  They're printed from Evan-Moore, and are fun to work with.  

I've got a list to check out at the convention tomorrow.  Phonics Road looked interesting until I saw the price!

If you have a favorite I'd love to hear about it.

We used Hooked On Phonics, the big boxed program.  It is booooooring!  LOL

But they were able to read the HOP books very quickly (in fact my youngest just read the first HOP book yesterday).  But they liked the book days, the cartoon days, and the days that they used the CDs.  I really liked the extra materials (plain letter cards because pictures can be distracting and unhelpful) and the CDs.  But the lesson pages had far too many words for my middle so they took us extra days.  I don't know, I'd give the system a low B if I were grading it.  But I rearranged it enough to work for us.  

We bought the Evan-Moor daily spelling workbook and their grammar.  IMO the grammar was weak!  And the spelling was aesy to just memorize and move on.  Not sure if I'd use them again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN