Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Feel like giving up...help!

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 1:59 AM
  • 13 Replies

Writing this out seems to clarify, for me, the fact that I am losing my own steam which is causing my issues... I cannot seem to keep to a schedule.  I have issues with the idea of stopping my kids mid-work because they've gone over the time, which has led to way-too-long subjects and throws whatever weak schedule I have out the window.  I feel like I'm always playing catch-up.  

Today, for instance, we only got THREE subjects done!!! 

By all means, lovely ladies and fellow homeschooling moms, please give me your schedule tips.

Especially how do you keeps your kids on track?   If you miss subjects, do you try to play catch-up the next day with a jam-packed schedule?  Or do you just push everything you had planned back?  Or do you just skip the missed/unfinished subject entirely until it's next schedule day (for block schedules)?

What do you do with math, when working on a new concept, the child needs extra time to correct or redo their work?   Do you make it "homework" to do later when everyone else is having fun? That would make me feel horrible, since it's not their fault they made math mistakes...(?)

How many of you throw play time or breaks into the middle of the school work?  How long are these breaks?  (I was thinking that may buy some extra time to finish math (my main issue) without punishing the kid.)

by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 1:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 2:02 AM
Sounds like there's too much assigned in a subject maybe?
I just push it back. If a kid is already overwhelmed adding more is just going to make it worse!
Jlee4249
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 2:11 AM

After I saw how long they take on math, I have since dwindled it down to a whole page.  That's it.  But their ability to watch dust fly through a sun beam for long stretches is beyond amazing... I have started to set a timer, which has helped.  However, when they get it done and I check it, my youngest seems to short-circuit his brain half-way through his double-digit problems, which leaves him with half a page or more to redo.  That happened today.  I finally got to the point where I had him put it away to finish later and we moved on. 

Quoting JasonsMom2007: Sounds like there's too much assigned in a subject maybe? I just push it back. If a kid is already overwhelmed adding more is just going to make it worse!

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 7:09 AM
1 mom liked this

When we don't get something done in a day, we push it to the next and the whole schedule gets altered. If we start getting "too far behind" we catch up on a weekend (same as if we skip a day in the middle of the week). They want their weekends for play so they usually finish up pretty quick. 

For dawdling: I got sick and tired of that waaaay too quickly. I know I've posted it a few times, but I use a bribery system lol. I had my daughter sign a contract which stated that she gets 1 hr of tech time to start each day with. I give her so long for each assignment (this does not include teaching time) to get her work done. If she finishes before that time, she gets that many minutes added to her tech time (for instance, she typically gets 1/2 hr for math to do front and back of a worksheet. if she finishes it in 20 minutes, 10 minutes gets added to tech time). If she goes over her time, that many minutes gets taken away from her tech time (if she takes 40 minutes on her math, she'll be subtracted 10 minutes). That way, at the end of the day, she gets x amount of time on electronics of any kind and it was entirely dependant on her. She gets no more than 2 hrs a day, so on those random days she scores over 2 hrs, those minutes over gets added to weekend tech time. 
To get rid of the whinning, if both kids do their homework and morning chores with no complaints or procrastination, they can together earn a Skylander (their newest favorite shared interest) for the day.
It doesn't always work, but homework since we started this has been going far more smoothly, and we havne't had a day yet where we start at 8 am and finish at 8 pm just because math took 4 hours to do 5 problems... and it wasn't because she was struggling, it was simply because her mind kept wandering and she wouldn't focus. She now has a reason to focus...  

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:49 AM
Just for this problem with your son, I suggest working on Mastery vs doing the whole page. If he is getting the entire first half right, don't make him keep going. Maybe take 5 minutes to revisit the idea the next day, but move on. This helped my son who has the same issue.

Quoting Jlee4249:

After I saw how long they take on math, I have since dwindled it down to a whole page.  That's it.  But their ability to watch dust fly through a sun beam for long stretches is beyond amazing... I have started to set a timer, which has helped.  However, when they get it done and I check it, my youngest seems to short-circuit his brain half-way through his double-digit problems, which leaves him with half a page or more to redo.  That happened today.  I finally got to the point where I had him put it away to finish later and we moved on. 

Quoting JasonsMom2007: Sounds like there's too much assigned in a subject maybe?
I just push it back. If a kid is already overwhelmed adding more is just going to make it worse!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:50 AM
Have you considered block scheduling? Maybe it would help. 8) Remind me, how old are your kiddos?
jen2150
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:06 AM
We homeschool year round with many breaks. It allows to be more relaxed. I have no set schedule of subjects in place. We set daily goals and just go with whatever that happens. If they are interested in something and want to continue then I just go with it. If they are dragging their feet I change what we are doing. If they are not engaged then they are not learning. I have back up plans for every subject. We have a morning and afternoon session with a 2-3 hour break in between. Any curriculum plans are tentative and not set in stone. This is how I do things. It may not work for you. I suggest you try different tactics until you find what works for you. When it comes to math I would relax a little. If they make a lot of mistakes then just keep repeating it until they get it. It will come in time. The most important thing is for them to be engaged and learning to have fun with math. Change it up every so often. Read a book on math every once in a while and do a fun math project together. If your kids are like mine they love hands on projects. I really hope you find that balance that works for you. It took me years to find our balance so be patient. Hope things improve for you very soon.
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with this. Also you don't have to be so schedule conscious. You can relax and let them watch those dust motes. Make that a teaching moment. Have them research how and why that happens.

Quoting mem82: Just for this problem with your son, I suggest working on Mastery vs doing the whole page. If he is getting the entire first half right, don't make him keep going. Maybe take 5 minutes to revisit the idea the next day, but move on. This helped my son who has the same issue.
Quoting Jlee4249:

Quoting JasonsMom2007: Sounds like there's too much assigned in a subject maybe? I just push it back. If a kid is already overwhelmed adding more is just going to make it worse!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 25, 2014 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I am a super anal, organized, type A soul. But I had to throw out all ideas of checklists, and tightly outlined schedules once I had kids. My children just aren't like me. :( instead I have the subjects I want to accomplish in a week. And that keeps us all from losing our marbles. Check out my blog for an accounting of how we go through our days. 

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 10:54 AM
First step would be get rid of that "jam-packed" schedule:) Your home sounds a lot like school,and we try to avoid that at all costs! One of the reasons we never get behind,is that I'm not on anyone else's schedule. I'm on mine,so I can change it if I need to to suit a kid or a circumstance as needed. My kids only do three actual subjects a day. Math,science and history. Everything else is learned through life, and we don't do a lot of workbook work. That seems to bog us down really badly. EVERY kid daydreams during tedious work,so I try to avoid it.
coala
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 12:34 PM

We are using a boxed curriculum, so everything is laid out for me.  If we miss a day...we just readjust our schedule and make it work.  I lay out 6 weeks for us at a time and we usually finish the 6th week on a Monday and that gives us the rest of the week to either make up what we have missed or have a few days off.  Our day is "usually" no longer than about 3-4 hours.  That also includes the 30 mins of reading that I insist that they do.  You have find a plan and then be flexible.  I wasn't flexible enough our first 2 years....this year I am totally learning to go with the flow.  It makes life easier.

For breaks......I do let my girls know that if they take a break in the middle of their day then it is going to take away from playtime later....I "allow" them to have 2 15 min breaks if they  need them.  If they have work they didn't finish then they work on it 15 min at a time with 15 break and they usually finsih by the end of the 2nd 15 min segment.  This works for us, but may not for others.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)