Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Did you stay 'on budget' this year?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:11 AM
  • 13 Replies

Now that everything is kind of shaking out, did you overspend on homeschooling stuff/classes this year?

by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coala
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 12:24 PM

I don't think we really had a budget.  We spent what we thought was necessary.  I have even tried to turn our trips into learning experiences along the way. I will probably do a better job at it next year...since this was the first year we have had these trips all over the state.

Codysmom2106
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Yes. Lol with it being our first year I think I spent more than necessary. I was trying to get supplies and figure out  curriculum. Now that we have curriculum in place (hopefully it will all work) I'll know what to get next time and can look for better deals. 

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 12:38 PM

I stayed in budget only because I got a gift card to change out science lol.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 1:20 PM
I have a budget of $20 per week for curriculum and supplies. Our classes are a different beast. I am a paid parent volunteer to cover most of those costs. I work for parents that can't do their volunteer hours. I have a budget of 2-300 a month for classes and field trips and I make over $200 a month working for parent volunteers. We also spread out our supply cost throughout the year as well so it isn't too much at once. We need to purchase a new lap top this summer so we will probably be a little over budget this year. Honestly I probably spend more on classes outside the home than curriculum that I use. We don't purchase curriculum that is very expensive.
jen2150
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 1:20 PM
I have a budget of $20 per week for curriculum and supplies. Our classes are a different beast. I am a paid parent volunteer to cover most of those costs. I work for parents that can't do their volunteer hours. I have a budget of 2-300 a month for classes and field trips and I make over $200 a month working for parent volunteers. We also spread out our supply cost throughout the year as well so it isn't too much at once. We need to purchase a new lap top this summer so we will probably be a little over budget this year. Honestly I probably spend more on classes outside the home than curriculum that I use. We don't purchase curriculum that is very expensive.
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 2:35 PM
2 moms liked this

I didn't set a budget, but I probably spent more than necessary.  I'm going to do better this year (chant it with me...)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Nope.  We visited the book store too often and I am a bookaholic!  LOL  

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:59 PM

I pretty much stayed on budget.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

TidewaterClan
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 11:23 PM

I stayed on budget, give or take an order from Rainbow!

Hey - the convention was fun, and helpful as I switched our writing course for next year.  I don't know that I'll go next year if I don't have to research anything (I like physically flipping through stuff).  You didn't miss a whole lot, though there were some fun science suppliers.  One had EVERYTHING you could want to dissect.  Elyssa picked up one bag then quickly put it back when I told her it was a cow's eye!  Cool and gross all out at the same time!  

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 8:10 AM

I think we for the most part stayed on budget for this past school year. I've already kinda gone over for next year already...At the last minute we decided to switch a whole bunch of the extra curriculars up, which is why we've gone over. O well. We also weren't sure which writing program we wanted to do with Jamie from this point forward, and since I have to physically see it, feel it, look through it, I got a bunch of them so I could make a decision lol. No amount of reviews or samples were cutting it for me. I think we're going to end up using all of them too :/  (Poor kid...Mom can't make up her mind so she's stuck with them all...at least she's not doing them all in a day every day). 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN