Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are your families supportive of your decision to HS? piog

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 2:07 PM
  • 32 Replies

I know that when we make the decision or not to HS it will solely be our decision without interference from our families. But I wonder, if any of your extended family were supportive or even against your decision to HS. How do you handle the detractors?

I know my parents are 100% completely supportive of whatever we feel is best for our son, but I know his mom will be pretty vocal about it not being a good idea. 

How do you deal?

PS. I'm sure these things have all been discussed before but do I appreciate your input. 

by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 2:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Evan if it has been asked before, you are always welcome to ask again.  Many people are skeptical, because of the misinformation.  I know I was.  But invite her to a home school convention, and show her the following information.  Why Home School 

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 2:29 PM

I have let everybody know since I got married and started my family, that the decisions we make for our family are our choices as parents.  I don't hinder those willing to share their opinions, but I also don't hesitate in telling them that while I appreciate their opinions they hold no weight in my decision making as a parent.  They are not a part of our household, and we are raising our children the way we feel is best, not how others think we should.

I have been very fortunate in not having issues with family members, but I am in a rare position where I was successfully homeschooled as a child and everybody knows it.  I had no issues going from a homeschooling environment to work and college, and I have my degree which is more than many naysayers have.  I have friends I've known for over 15+ years and am still close to, and I have no issues personally interacting with people, so I'm not "socially awkward" as many would label homeschoolers.  Needless to say I haven't met anybody who could say anything against homeschooling that made any sense to me, most speak out of ignorance, and I ignore the thoughts and opinions of ignorant people.

How do I deal, I live my life as I see fit and ignore what others say or think.  I have taught my children the same thing, because you cannot control what others will say or do, but you have full control over your actions and words.

My neighbors across from us are against us homeschooling.  They are retired public school teachers and have even come up to me when we first lived here telling me a thing or two of what they thought on the matter, I smiled and told them that while I appreciate their opinions we'll have to just continue to agree to disagree, after that I just started ignoring them.  They once went up to my children when they were in the front yard playing and told them that they need to go to public school because they don't know how to deal with bullies... my eldest turned to her sister and pushed her sister down, then turned to our neighbor and said, there now we've been bullied, and both kids laughed.... needless to say the neighbor huffed back home, never returning.  My kids aren't uneducated in the fact that there are people against homeschooling, they just don't care.  They chose to homeschool, I didn't choose for them, and they stand by their convictions.

Chrlns3
by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 2:32 PM
We haven't decided yet, but if we do homeschool, I know my mom will be very happy about it (I was homeschooled). I honestly don't know how my husbands family will feel.
ambcortez
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 2:35 PM

My mom wasn't supportive at first, even though she homeschooled all of us kids. My dad is glad that I'm homeschooling. He loves my kids and "know they're in good hands". 

Z still doesn't want me to "have to homeschool", even though it's something I've always wanted to do. I love having them home with me and doing things with them: reading, drawing, etc. I love being the one teaching them things. I'm able to go back and relearn with them. I do get stressed out sometimes, but most of the time, the lessons are a breeze.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:29 PM

My MIL and FIL were very vocal about our "bad" decision.  Then they started quizzing the boys every single time we visited.  They blatantly told us that they had to hide our oddities from their friends.

Now (nearly 4 years later) they proudly tell everyone who will listen about how smart their grandkids are, how well they are doing on their tests, all the cool field trips they go on, and all the awesome projects they are doing.  

Eventually everyone will either see how great this homeschooling thing is or at least you won't really care anymore because YOU will see hos great this homeschooling thing is!

Molimomma
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:42 PM

At first "the grands" had doubts. My mom came around first to the idea. MIL did mention putting him in private school instead but she's now come around to the idea(I think) she sent me a bunch of stickers with a school theme(good job, a+, nice work, etc) which I think was her way of being supportive. That's how I chose to interpret it anyway! FIL hasn't said anything 1 way or the other. SIL said she wished they lived near us so I could homeschool hers too! My son has some sensory issues so I had my mind set early this would be best for him at least for now and since I have an Early Childhood Ed degree I think it may have been easier for them to believe I could do it and do it well. We are only in our first early stages though, they may turn on me as he gets older, we shall see....

Codysmom2106
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:29 PM

At first my mom was not on board at all and even had me convinced ps was best from my son. He went for half of k, all of first and 4 months of second. After hearing about what he was having to deal with physically from the other kids she was fully on board with me removing him and has been supportive ever since. 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Yes. My parents are supportive, and my FIL is supportive (dh's mother passed away when he was still a child, although from what I hear, she would be supportive).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:56 PM

We have been HSing for a decade, and my dad will say, "wow the boys are doing so great, learning so much....but when will they be going to a real school?" Insert eye roll here. I just smile and wave and tell myself they are just trying to be devils advocate. 99% of friends and family were own over within the first couple of years. The rest just like to be difficult..lol. Hang in there!

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 10:01 PM

intellectually, my parents believe that homeschooling can work and that it can produce a smarter kid than public school if done well and they don't buy into some of the socialization arguments. And this is also from a mom who was a public school teacher for 35 years and a dad who is a retired college professor. But emotionaly, they were kidn of discouraging the idea -- I think they worried it would be too hard for me, or would become a grind and we'd burn out, or my son would rebel.

So far, we're still in the "doing better than public school" mode. hopefully it's not jsut a honeymoon phase! Because I'm not sure my son is going to be cut out for a traditonal brick and mortar school any time soon. 

My inlaws have both passed away, but probably wouldn't have been vocal in any negative way based on their personalities. My sister in law totallly surprised me with thinking it's a great idea. She even offered to be my substitute teacher if I'm ever sick! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)