Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are your families supportive of your decision to HS? piog

Posted by   + Show Post

I know that when we make the decision or not to HS it will solely be our decision without interference from our families. But I wonder, if any of your extended family were supportive or even against your decision to HS. How do you handle the detractors?

I know my parents are 100% completely supportive of whatever we feel is best for our son, but I know his mom will be pretty vocal about it not being a good idea. 

How do you deal?

PS. I'm sure these things have all been discussed before but do I appreciate your input. 

by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 2:07 PM
Replies (31-32):
prov31woman424
by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:37 PM

My parents, yes. His parents, no.

Lordgodempress
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 3:34 PM

um..I haven't told them our decision yet, and may never tell my dad lol. I may just let him figure it out on his own.  

My father was a very much against homeschooling when we were kids.  He was very adamant that no one is qualified to teach kids except people with degrees.   My father is very odd in his beliefs because while adamantly against homeschooling, he was equally adamant against schools getting too involved with the kids' personal life and he had a fit as soon as he found out my youngest had an IEP because he was worried she would get "labeled".  My dad is also a very argumentative person and he will try very hard to get me into a debate with him on the subject and he will pick apart every fact I give him.  I dont know if telling is worth the trouble. 

My husbands parents are fully on board.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)