Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My 5 yr old can't read!

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 3:22 PM
  • 16 Replies

My oldest son went to public school for K and 1st! When I began homeschooling he HATED school but he did know the basics (his letters, numbers, etc and how to read some and do addition and subtraction) 2nd grade was tough because he had such a tough time the year before but considering he had already been taught the basics we just built on it. He did fantastic but really was a horrible reader and because of that reading was a nightmare! It wasnt until his 3rd grade year his reading REALLY improved.

So back to the 5 yr old. Started homeschooling this year (K) He is so smart. Math is a breeze! We started learning his letters, then letter sounds, then it was suggest while teaching blends that I start sight words. I feel like he knows NOTHING. Like I am failing terribly. I try to switch it up try new things, ideas, but NOTHING has seemed to work. He is a young 5 (turned 5 in Sept we actually started K before his 5th birthday). So I don't know if I should relax and see how next year goes or what! I just know by this time in Xavier's K year he knew 50 sum sight words. He wasn't reading well but atleast he could sound some words out and new the sight words.

Any suggestions? Am I worrying for nothing?

by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 4:04 PM
I would not worry till at least next year. Just review and play. We have loved Ring Around the Phonics. It is a great game for reading. We also use sing spell read and write but have been taking it really slow. We have been on blends for 2 to 3 months.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Do NOT compare your children.  It will drive you batty!!  :-)

My oldest is 9 and reading on a senior high level while my middle is 7 and reading on a mid-first grade level and my youngest turned 5 in December and just read his first sounding out book this week.  Kids typically learn to read in the age range of 4-10!  That's a HUGE range and you are still at the beginning of it.  It will come!

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 2:36 AM
He's pretty young. However my eldest was like that. Explode the Code books really helped to speed up the process of reading. He's doing great now. He is in the end of his 2nd grade year and reading books like: "The Story of Doctor Doolittle." Just take your time with it and he'll get it.
by Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 4:01 AM
My 7 year old daughter just started reading. It just clicked about a couple of months ago and she is reading a lot now. We have used Explode the Code, starfall.com, and numerous phonics iPad apps.

My oldest had all the basics down and the foundation to learn to read at 3, but it didn't click for her until she was 6, she is mildly dyslexic, but she reads on grade level now.
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 7:32 AM

My little guy (he just turned 5 at the beginning of the month) has really loved All About Reading. It goes over phonics and blends and introduces sight words, but the words build off of the concept being taught until its mastered. It has "rule breaker" words too to help remember them a little easier, like "the" and "said" and "of". I've been amazed how quickly he is picking it up especially since my oldest still struggles with reading. We used All About Spelling in conjuction with AAR, and they run fairly parallell so there is constant reinforcement too between the two subjects. 
Like bluerooffarm said, do not compare the two or you'll drive yourself crazy :)  Your 5 yr old is young though, and no worries :) It'll work out when it suddenly clicks for him. Also - my little guy would NOT read his books that came with AAR, and he would very slowly sound out every single one of the cards like he didn't know them, but when we went to the grocery store, he could read just about every label, and would announce he wanted this brand or that brand because of things that were written on the box.... I was going crazy thinking we were getting no where, when in reality, he just didn't want to read those particular things, and was totaly holding out on me lol. So maybe yours knows and just doesn't want to "prove it" yet?

energygirl
by Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 7:41 AM

was glad I read this post, was contemplating getting some "Explode the code" to help my kids with their reading (they are on level but thought it might be good anyway... one is in K and one is in 1st)... I'll definitely be ordering it now :)

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Apr. 26, 2014 at 7:51 AM
I wouldn't worry too much yet, 5 is very young to be reading. Just keep working on letters and sounds and let him feel confident with that, there is no need to push him, in fact it may make him frustrated and not be able to enjoy reading!
jen2150
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 9:00 AM
It is very normal. The age gap is very large. Anywhere from 3-11 is normal. My oldest was reading chapter books at 7 and my youngest is only now starting at 10. The important thing is to make it fun and light. Reading should be an enjoyable process. Take it very slow at this age. Create fun word games. Reading is like one big code. Some kids take longer to break it. Good luck and have fun.
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this
I feel like schools have set up an unrealistic timetable for learning to read. Studies show that late readers are no worse off than early readers. My youngest was 9 before it clicked. Its way too early to be concerned IMO.
romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Reading is what I am especially good at. Seriously teaching sight words should wait until he has mastered phonics and blending.  It is too much too soon.

Once they know their first 8 sounds they should be able to read their first early reader book.  After learning their next 6 sounds, they should be able to read their second reader early reader book. this helps tremendously in getting their minds to associate phonics with reading.    The following website will give you more information:  Read-phonics.com

With this method it is important not to push them.  They will actually beg you to play the "reading game" with them more than you will want to.  Have fun...it  is what creates life long readers. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)