Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My 5 yr old can't read!

Posted by   + Show Post

My oldest son went to public school for K and 1st! When I began homeschooling he HATED school but he did know the basics (his letters, numbers, etc and how to read some and do addition and subtraction) 2nd grade was tough because he had such a tough time the year before but considering he had already been taught the basics we just built on it. He did fantastic but really was a horrible reader and because of that reading was a nightmare! It wasnt until his 3rd grade year his reading REALLY improved.

So back to the 5 yr old. Started homeschooling this year (K) He is so smart. Math is a breeze! We started learning his letters, then letter sounds, then it was suggest while teaching blends that I start sight words. I feel like he knows NOTHING. Like I am failing terribly. I try to switch it up try new things, ideas, but NOTHING has seemed to work. He is a young 5 (turned 5 in Sept we actually started K before his 5th birthday). So I don't know if I should relax and see how next year goes or what! I just know by this time in Xavier's K year he knew 50 sum sight words. He wasn't reading well but atleast he could sound some words out and new the sight words.

Any suggestions? Am I worrying for nothing?

by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 3:22 PM
Replies (11-16):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 3:56 PM
Normal
maggiemom2000
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 11:50 PM

He's only 5!

Slow and steady mama! Keep it fun and easy, and read to him more. It will come soon enough. Read what you said about your first. Do you want it to be that way with your 5 yr old or will it be better to give him a liitle more time and have it be a positive experience?

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Same here.

Quoting Leissaintexas: I feel like schools have set up an unrealistic timetable for learning to read. Studies show that late readers are no worse off than early readers. My youngest was 9 before it clicked. Its way too early to be concerned IMO.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 12:46 PM
He is great! No worries mom. My kindy turned six this march and she isn't reading independently yet. She is just beginning to read with me, but I just don't have the same time with her as I did my eldest two. Also, she is a very different kid. She would totally need meds in regular school just to sit through thr school day. She is more active than they were.

They each havr their strengths and no time table is right.

My friend's kid was almost 9 before reading really clicked for her. She was public schooled and the school was so worried about her. By 10, she was an advanced reader in her class instead.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 29, 2014 at 6:17 PM
The average age where kids are truly ready to learn to read is age 7/8. My oldest taught herself before her fourth birthday. My middle is 5 tomorrow and isn't ready. You have to go with each child's pace and not stress you (or them!) out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cheerylrob2
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:46 PM

My DS will be a young K this coming school yr. I got him the Hooked On Phonics for pre-k. That alone taught him his letter sounds and names. We are now working on naming the sounds in words like the beginning, middle and ending sounds. He is able to blend them together to make words. I learned that from my DD Phonics Works lessons from her k yr. She is in first now and reading chapter books. I also work on DS comprehension of what I read to him because I have had other people mention that they can read but have no comprehension of what was read. DS will and is different than DD and that's ok with us!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN