Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm new!

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:08 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hey everyone I am Joanna. I have 2 children and live in Pa. DD is 6 and is in K at a private school and ds is 3. I want to start homeschooling next year. I have been doing some research but it is so overwhelming. I  know I don't want to do an online school but I am not sure what is a good curriculum. I know there will be a learning curve. I am not against spending money but the cheaper the better. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated. 

by on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Codysmom2106
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Welcome!! :)) I'm not from pa so my first suggestion would be to familiarize yourself with your state laws. I have been able to find a few pieces of my sons curriculum fairly cheap. You just have to look around a little. it can be a little overwhelming at first but sooner than you think you will have all of the pieces in place and things will be running smoothly. best wishes!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 25, 2014 at 9:50 PM

Welcome! I'm Shannon and I homeschool my 2 boys. I'm not much help on the curriculum front, I build our curriculum

JoJoBean8
by New Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 10:13 PM

I already did look up the laws. It doesn't seem that complex in my state. We just came to the decision 2 days ago so I am so overwhelmed right now!

Quoting Codysmom2106:

Welcome!! :)) I'm not from pa so my first suggestion would be to familiarize yourself with your state laws. I have been able to find a few pieces of my sons curriculum fairly cheap. You just have to look around a little. it can be a little overwhelming at first but sooner than you think you will have all of the pieces in place and things will be running smoothly. best wishes!

romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Welcome JoJoBeans8.  Relax, there are lots of ladies here willing to help you every step of the way.

How To Home School is a free web page with lots of links to help you from K through high school.  It even provides you links to help you  create your own curriculum.  It does not have to be expensive.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Check to see if there is a homeschool expo in your area, it is a way to expose yourself to various products.

My DD is 4.5 and we are using or have used the following programs:

All About Spelling

Handwriting Without Tears

RightStart Math (Abacus & Games based)

Apologia Science

Magic School Bus Science DVDs and experiment kits (monthly)

Ooka Island, Reading Eggs, Time4learning.com, abcmouse.com are all online programs that we use for fun/education but it's not really our planned out school day.  Really, I just use it so that she's still learning but I don't have to sit down with her and can tend to my DS2 or other things around the house.

I say take it slow in finding the programs and be willing to throw them out if they are just not working for you.  For example, I had planned on using Real Science 4 Kids first but found that DD liked Apologia better at this age. 

I also feel like no matter what programs you choose you will always end up modifying it somehow.  We've skipped lessons or decided not to use workbooks with Apologia (at this point), etc.

See if there are any homeschool groups in your area like yahoo, library, museums, parks etc I have access to a very active local homeschool group that does park days every Friday and many events each week as well as many museums and parks that offer homeschool days.  It might be a good way to meet other moms in your area.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN