Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
I don't know how many of you know, but my mil was not supportive at all when I told her we decided to HS. She thought it was a horrible idea, she questioned for my sons socialization and my daughter as well...I tried to reassure her in so many ways but she just didn't like the idea. I decided to stop wasting my breath trying to prove myself and to just show her. (We live with her, so this hasn't always been easy)!

Well, two days ago she gave me an envelope and said "I got this for you, well your family, from my work auction." It is a family membership to the art museum! DS and DH do not enjoy the art museum at all...but I really felt like it was her way of saying "hsing hasn't been so bad, you're doing ok" and offering a little support!

Maybe just showing her has actually started working! (Maybe DH pointing out that mil went to private school helped a bit too...just the point that her mom did what she thought was best, just like we are doing).
by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 7:49 AM
Replies (11-14):
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Apr. 29, 2014 at 8:08 AM
I hear it a lot too. Parents have to learn to let their adult children make their own choices at some point.

We live with my mil and I want another baby. She doesn't want a baby in the house, so I basically am told at 31 that I'm not allowed to get pregnant. I know we live with her, but we don't depend on her. It's frustrating.

Quoting KrissyKC: I really don't understand why they think they can allow or disallow people to do anything. I have heard this a lot.

Like when I told my folks I was pregnant. You would have thought I was sixteen. Instead of being a married woman with two other kids that they def did not help me raise in any way.

Quoting dizzy91:

That's awesome. :) 

We're not homeschooling yet, but my mom thinks it's horrible of us to even consider it. She laughs and says she won't allow it. So glad she lives in Georgia, and we live in New York. She has no say in anything either way. Family members can be so stressful.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Good to hear! Hopefully she's coming around :-)

oahoah
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Yay! Enjoy the art museum!

bether89
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

What a nice gesture by your MIL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)