Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What is Your Biggest Homeschooling Regret?

What is your biggest homeschooling regret?

Was it not starting sooner? A particular curriculum? Joining a co-op, not joining a co-op? Choosing one method over another?

Share your experiences!

by on Apr. 26, 2014 at 11:39 AM
Replies (11-18):
JasonsMom2007
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Using the charter we used last year. We switched to a new one this year and it's so much better but I still have moments of panic where I feel incapable thanks to them. And my son is way ahead!
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 3:47 PM
2 moms liked this
I wish I hadn't pushed as hard the wrong way with my son when he was younger. 8(
jjchick75
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Definitely not starting sooner. I wanted to but I felt since I have a degree in Education and taught school for 10 years that it would look bad for me to homeschool my kids. I now know I did a huge disservice to my daughter by allowing other people's opinions decide what was best for her. No regrets other than that.
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I love this!! Happens for a reason, right.  Lessons are always learned. I worked at a company that did a lot of things wrong and when I did consulting I always said...I can tell you what not to do!  It's equally important as knowing what to do! LOL

Quoting bluerooffarm:

When I look back over our homeschooling career, everything that I regret has the positive note of leading us to where we are.  If I had just done it from the beginning, I may have gotten discouraged and put them back in which would have been even more of a set back.  If we hadn't tried K12, I wouldn't have gotten my feet under me and learned to let go.  If I hadn't tried the curriculums that weren't a good fit, I wouldn't have tried designing my own for some of them.  And doing science and language arts on our own has been such an amazing success!  So yeah, I regret staying with K12 a long time, I regret using the Delights book for language arts, but I wouldn't be on this path right now.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep, I learn new stuff not to do all.the.time!  

Quoting ablackdolphin:

I love this!! Happens for a reason, right.  Lessons are always learned. I worked at a company that did a lot of things wrong and when I did consulting I always said...I can tell you what not to do!  It's equally important as knowing what to do! LOL

Quoting bluerooffarm:

When I look back over our homeschooling career, everything that I regret has the positive note of leading us to where we are.  If I had just done it from the beginning, I may have gotten discouraged and put them back in which would have been even more of a set back.  If we hadn't tried K12, I wouldn't have gotten my feet under me and learned to let go.  If I hadn't tried the curriculums that weren't a good fit, I wouldn't have tried designing my own for some of them.  And doing science and language arts on our own has been such an amazing success!  So yeah, I regret staying with K12 a long time, I regret using the Delights book for language arts, but I wouldn't be on this path right now.

TidewaterClan
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 5:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Not starting sooner.

I also wish I already knew what I'll find out in all of the upcoming years, lol. :)
Bleacher-mom
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 2:59 AM
I have a few. I didn't sign up with a group for a couple of years thinking that there wouldn't be much for little kids so we missed having DS participate in kinder graduation. Then when DD was at that age, we had so much going on she didn't do it either.

My biggest regret is not putting my foot down as soon as people wanted me to start doing things for them b/c I was home all day. I should have treated our time that we had set for family time and school work time as though it was a job and simply said we were not available during that time.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TidewaterClan: Not starting sooner. I also wish I already knew what I'll find out in all of the upcoming years, lol. :)

That's a really great wish!  Mee too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN