Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need ideas to start

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:48 PM
  • 13 Replies
Hi Ladies,
First I want to introduce myself. My name is Melanie I have a 4 1/2yr old and 3month old twins. We live in PR. I have been looking into homeschooling for a while. Our economic situation is not great and I don't want to put our child in the public school system. Especially since he doesn't know the language. He currently goes to a waldorf school we love but our bills are piling up.

I was wondering what resources were out there for inexpensive homeschooling curriculums for kindergartem. I feel very insecure and dont have much support except from my husband (i guess thats the most important one!). My son seems to have some behavioral and sensory issues we are trying to figure out. I need his curriculum to be fun and engaging. I wish I could say just wing it or do a waldorf curriculum but I am way too insecure for this. Thanks ahead!
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Define "inexpensive"?

The nuts and bolts of are this - if you want a boxed secular curriculum, it's going to cost you pretty dearly. If you're okay with a Catholic or protestant program, your wallet will be happier, lol.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

JadeTigr7
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

At 4 1/2 you don't even really need a curriculum.....

jen2150
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 2:17 PM
We never used one until 1st grade. There are plenty free things online and the library that will greatly help you. I spent less than $300 for two boys for upper elementary and middle school. They use a lot of the same materials. I copy whenever I can to save money. I wouldn't spent a lot for the first few grades at least. It is harder finding free things to print for the older grades. Good luck in your search.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 2:32 PM

For kindergarten, I basically used Hooked on Phonics, Math U See Primer (although I probably wouldn't do that again, I'd just teach counting and adding and shapes and money and time and call it great), Some easy reader books, some fairy tales, a couple science and history short books for thaat age group.  And Play, Play Play!

energygirl
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 6:04 AM

if you get the book from the library "What every kindergardener needs to know" and browse through it, you will see how much you can do without a curriculum for that age (I wouldn't go without curriculum for older grades though).  The free website www.abcya.com is one my 4 year old, 6 year old and 8 year old all like (and you can adjust the level and activity........like clicking on the upper or lower case letter after hearing the letter name...or you can have it make the sound and they click on it...then it goes to higher levels of sight words etc. works well for pre K or K level and then also higher grades...has reading, math etc....) just browsing the games on that sight for kindergarden will help you see what concepts kids that age should be learning that year.  Another idea is to look at Sonlight or My Fathers world curriculum sights (pricy) and then get some of their recommended books through the library ........ for Kindergarden we enjoyed the Children's Encyclopedia (Usborne) and nature books from the library.  For math (after looking at what every kindergardener needs to know) you can do your own thing or do a workbook.  I used Saxon math for my oldest in Kindergarden (was too easy and a waste of our money) and then I used Horizon K math just the first book for my son in Kindergarden and it worked well (and you don't need the teacher manual).........  If your son is 4 1/2 he might not be ready for kindergarden... (around here the schools say be age 5 by August 1st).  My daughter's birthday was 12 days after that so we waited a year to start kindergarden and it was a good decision.  If you want to deep review/comparison of some different curriculums (and weigh the pros and cons of them from an unbiased view) then get a book from the library called 101 top picks for homeschool curriculum by Cathy Duffy (if your library doesn't have it, libraries can get books from other libraries for free for you...just ask)

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 28, 2014 at 7:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome! I'm Shannon and I stared homeschooling when my kids were toddlers as well. We don't spend much on schooling, I get creative with the funds we do have. When my kids were pre-2nd grade I did only free curriculum like www.letteroftheweek.com and the kids got a lot out of educational apps and free websites like pbskids.org. Good luck!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 1:06 PM

This. You don't need much for this age.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

For kindergarten, I basically used Hooked on Phonics, Math U See Primer (although I probably wouldn't do that again, I'd just teach counting and adding and shapes and money and time and call it great), Some easy reader books, some fairy tales, a couple science and history short books for thaat age group.  And Play, Play Play!

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this
If I were you, I would do a "letter of the week" for all three of my kids together. I would create a hands-on daily calendar board and a notebook for each of them (tad more complex for the kindy). Pinterest and see what I mean.

I would do handwriting without tears with my kindy.

I would teach numbers 1-20 until learned well, then introduce hundreds chart and hundreds chart games. The 3 yr olds can just piggy back and I would teach to the older one. Again pinterest hundreds chart ideas.

I would buy a hands on clock for all of them, but teach to the older. Cover hours and half hours for this year... only more if ready.

I would teach whole, half, and then quarters. By the end of the year I would introduce other fractions.

I would introduce money *calendar board activities*

I would introduce some sight words.

I would highlight on letter sounds and simple words unless my 4 yr old wanted more. Include recignizing beginning sounds, then ending sounds, then short vowels in the middle of words....

At the semester, I'd veal if I was ready for a phonics curric, but trying to teach them in a group is great and easier so I wouldn't push the 4 yr old ahead unless he just needs it and wants it.

I would play lots of prek-1st grade level games....watch videos...go for walks and field trips... go to the library weekly and pick a fun topic for nonfiction as well as plenty of fiction. Enjoy the seasons and such as they come.
romacox
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Welcome to the group.

How To Home School Will provide you with lots of information.

Molimomma
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:20 PM

She has 3 month old twins not 3 yr olds. And then 1 almost kindergartener.

Quoting KrissyKC: If I were you, I would do a "letter of the week" for all three of my kids together. I would create a hands-on daily calendar board and a notebook for each of them (tad more complex for the kindy). Pinterest and see what I mean. I would do handwriting without tears with my kindy. I would teach numbers 1-20 until learned well, then introduce hundreds chart and hundreds chart games. The 3 yr olds can just piggy back and I would teach to the older one. Again pinterest hundreds chart ideas. I would buy a hands on clock for all of them, but teach to the older. Cover hours and half hours for this year... only more if ready. I would teach whole, half, and then quarters. By the end of the year I would introduce other fractions. I would introduce money *calendar board activities* I would introduce some sight words. I would highlight on letter sounds and simple words unless my 4 yr old wanted more. Include recignizing beginning sounds, then ending sounds, then short vowels in the middle of words.... At the semester, I'd veal if I was ready for a phonics curric, but trying to teach them in a group is great and easier so I wouldn't push the 4 yr old ahead unless he just needs it and wants it. I would play lots of prek-1st grade level games....watch videos...go for walks and field trips... go to the library weekly and pick a fun topic for nonfiction as well as plenty of fiction. Enjoy the seasons and such as they come.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)