Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Hi Ladies,
First I want to introduce myself. My name is Melanie I have a 4 1/2yr old and 3month old twins. We live in PR. I have been looking into homeschooling for a while. Our economic situation is not great and I don't want to put our child in the public school system. Especially since he doesn't know the language. He currently goes to a waldorf school we love but our bills are piling up.

I was wondering what resources were out there for inexpensive homeschooling curriculums for kindergartem. I feel very insecure and dont have much support except from my husband (i guess thats the most important one!). My son seems to have some behavioral and sensory issues we are trying to figure out. I need his curriculum to be fun and engaging. I wish I could say just wing it or do a waldorf curriculum but I am way too insecure for this. Thanks ahead!
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 12:48 PM
Replies (11-13):
Molimomma
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:32 PM

My son is almost 4.5 and also has some sensory issues. I am not planning on buying any formal curriculum until first or 2nd grade. This year for preschool we are doing themes like apples, the seasons, ocean, dinosaurs,zoo animals, space etc and then all our school work goes with that theme. For example, this week we are doing space so we read a book about the solar system, did a solar system floor puzzle, his number writing practice had an astronaught theme, his phonics paper had pictures in rocket ships and he had to stamp the letter for the picture's beginning sound, we did a space themed cut-n-paste patterning worksheet, and he has a space themed sensory bin. After we read the story he colored the planets, I cut them out, and he glued them in the correct order from the sun we read about in the book. Tomorrow we will read a different book and do some more space themed activities and so on. I get most of my activities as free ideas from Pinterest or other websites. We do some sort if writing practice, phonics activity, a math activity, and a craft or art project daily and when I can I include a cooking activity, science, and/or a field trip(when appropriate). We don't always do worksheets, sometimes it is a game or some sort of hands on activity it just depends on the day. I try to mix it up whenever I can to keep it fun and as active as possible.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 4:39 PM
Oops... read that wrong.

Ok, then I would totally simplify it.

Lots of books, handwriting, math u see or some other easy math program.

Lots of hands on crafts and games.

Quoting Molimomma:

She has 3 month old twins not 3 yr olds. And then 1 almost kindergartener.

Quoting KrissyKC: If I were you, I would do a "letter of the week" for all three of my kids together. I would create a hands-on daily calendar board and a notebook for each of them (tad more complex for the kindy). Pinterest and see what I mean.

I would do handwriting without tears with my kindy.

I would teach numbers 1-20 until learned well, then introduce hundreds chart and hundreds chart games. The 3 yr olds can just piggy back and I would teach to the older one. Again pinterest hundreds chart ideas.

I would buy a hands on clock for all of them, but teach to the older. Cover hours and half hours for this year... only more if ready.

I would teach whole, half, and then quarters. By the end of the year I would introduce other fractions.

I would introduce money *calendar board activities*

I would introduce some sight words.

I would highlight on letter sounds and simple words unless my 4 yr old wanted more. Include recignizing beginning sounds, then ending sounds, then short vowels in the middle of words....

At the semester, I'd veal if I was ready for a phonics curric, but trying to teach them in a group is great and easier so I wouldn't push the 4 yr old ahead unless he just needs it and wants it.

I would play lots of prek-1st grade level games....watch videos...go for walks and field trips... go to the library weekly and pick a fun topic for nonfiction as well as plenty of fiction. Enjoy the seasons and such as they come.

julesjerry
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2014 at 1:36 PM

I spend less than $100 for a year, in homeschooling. I get most of my lessons from online or from library.

This group is great in supporting others. We are here, You can do it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)