Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

K12

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 5:29 PM
  • 20 Replies
Hi . I've been reading a lot of comments on here about k12. Most are negative 😞 We currently use k12 out of colorado. What do you moms use and the ones that used k12 what / why is it better? This is our 2nd yr if I can do better for my kids I would like to . 😊
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 5:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JadeTigr7
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't use k12 because it's using the public school curriculum and I don't want to use the public school curriculum and time table.  I want more flexibility than that.

Codysmom2106
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 5:48 PM

We are in nc so k12 isn't free here. I don't think it's worth buying all of the independent study courses individually on top of having to pay a monthly internet fee for each course. We use it for Spanish only. It's $22 a month. Then we use math u see, apologia, story of the world, shurley english spectrum workbooks, sylvan learning flash cards and either buy books for reading or go to the library. It seems like a lot but I think this way works out better in our situation. 

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't like k12 because I don't want public school curriculum or testing and I'm strongly opposed to cookie cutter education. Right now we're using Notgrass for history,BJU science and math,and unschooling language arts.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I hated that I could not move at my kids pace and I hated feeling always behind. It was lots of stress for me and the kids.

We use story of the world, math u see and teaching textbooks. I make up my own science and lit. And they use a spelling curriculum. But I do not remember the name off the top of my head.

My girls are excelling and currently reading The Lion, the witch and the wardrobe. They are 7 and 8.
linz04060913
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 9:16 PM

I liked k12 because it was so easy when I was pregnant and had a new baby. We quit because they sold out to common core. In and of itself it's not likely a big deal, but we are against the govt taking over all of our choices and common core is one of the ways they're doing that. So, that's why we stopped with them. We loved our 1st grade teachers with them

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 10:25 PM

We use an eclectic mix of curriculum pieces - mostly Catholic materials and secular materials (although I am using CLE math - a mennonite math).

Never used K12 - never wanted to.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

We bought a few chunks of K12 at first and I LOVED it!!  It was so awesome with all of its bells and whistles.  So we decided to go ahead and enroll so we could do it free.  BUT with that came so much crazy that we left mid-year.  Independent we could go at our own pace, there was no teacher over-seeing us, and we could use anything that they had available for the subjects we had bought so math games etc.  But when we enrolled, they wanted way too much music and art lessons, they had too many science and history lessons as well.  We stayed on top of it, but then they tested the boys and they didn't meet the exact scores that K12 wanted so they added a bunch of online classes on top of the work we were already doing.  It ended up as a nightmare for us.  We would often start out at 7:30 as we do now, but we wouldn't be finished with our lessons until 3:00 (still before they would have gotten home from B&M, but still!  Yikes!)

Now I use Math U See for math, mostly McGraw Hill Science, Story of the World for history, National Geographic Kids Atlas for geography, and make my own language arts.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 12:59 PM

I didn't like that we were always so behind and ds couldn't move at his own pace. Going independent is so much easier for us. We do child led schooling. It's really just a mix of Google, youtube, netflix, library, book stores, experiments, projects, and field trips. The only text I use often is Life of Fred.

Lala06
by New Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 1:15 PM
Do you use a program?

Quoting JadeTigr7:

I don't use k12 because it's using the public school curriculum and I don't want to use the public school curriculum and time table.  I want more flexibility than that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lala06
by New Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 1:18 PM
Do you use a different program now?

Quoting linz04060913:

I liked k12 because it was so easy when I was pregnant and had a new baby. We quit because they sold out to common core. In and of itself it's not likely a big deal, but we are against the govt taking over all of our choices and common core is one of the ways they're doing that. So, that's why we stopped with them. We loved our 1st grade teachers with them

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN