Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Planning help...6th and 7th grades

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:03 PM
  • 10 Replies

I am anxious because my oldest will be a 7th grader and I feel like that is "real" school and I need to be more serious.  This was our first year hsing, overall it has been successful.  Here are my plans so far, please feel free to give recommendations, guidance, advice, anything!  We don't have a huge curriculum budget, so the more frugal the better, but I am willing to look and invest in things that will really work/help.

7th grade/age 12/boy/advanced 1-2 years

Math: Algebra (most likely BJU as we used this for prealgebra and it has worked so far)

Vocab/Spelling: I don't know....he is a natural speller, so something more focused on vocab/roots/etc

Foreign Language: Spanish, we have a quick study guide, but would also like some audio

Geography: half the year doing world geography and the other half doing US geography..but I don't know what we will use for it yet.

6th grade/age 11/girl/just on grade level, possible dyslexic

Math: Probably using CLE grade 6 (if you have experience with this, will grade level be ok for a child that hasn't completely mastered the times tables yet?  Is there some review built in?)

Spelling: Finishing up with Apples and Pears probably by December.  I'm not sure what will come next, but she definitely could use a spelling program still.  Has anyone used gradespelling.com?

Foreign Language and Geography:Just picking up on whatever DS is learning, she won't have formal instruction for thos subjects yet.

Together/the same

History: Early Modern...we have SOTW but I would like to look into something a bit older for them. 

Science: Half a year doing biology/anatomy, the other half doing astronomy...no idea what curriculum we will be using though

Art: ??

Music:??  Maybe piano lessons for DD but I'm not sure what else.

So I guess I am looking for suggestions for middle school for Early Modern History, Biology, Anatomy, Astronomy, Vocab, Spanish, Geography, Spelling, Art, and Music.....oh boy, now I am even more overwhelmed.  Give me all your advice!

by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Apr. 27, 2014 at 8:29 PM

I forgot to include writing: I am thinking IEW for at least the 6th grader, if not both kids.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 10:19 PM

I wouldn't use CLE on grade level with a child who struggles with math, unless they were previously using it - it's known for being a bit advanced coming out of other programs (what was she using this year?). Not knowing her multiplication tables has nothing to do with that, really, moreso the concepts and pacing. I love CLE, though. I have the grade 5 TM and I'll look through the contents for you, if you want. CLE has plenty of review, as it is spiral, so it reviews constantly... but, I'll caveat with that multiplication tables aren't built into the review, on their own (that I'm aware of) in the grade 5 books, since that's more of a grade 3-ish skill to have mastered.

I would absolutely invest in some of Dianne Craft's multiplication cards - it is very common for dyslexics to have working memory problems. DON'T hold her back an entire year in math curricula just because of her tables - just let her use a calculator for the textbook work, and build in a drill session later in the day to drill the facts.

Runkle's Geography is great, but if you want to combine them there, they would probably love Ellen McHenry's "Mapping the World With Art" program - art based geography! Fun!

Catholic Schools Textbook Project has a modern history book, but it would need to be read aloud to your dd, although I think your son could handle it. They put out beautiful books.

MCT puts out a great latin word root program called Caesar's English.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 10:21 PM

IEW is fantastic for both neurotypical AND dyslexic children, so that would be a great investment. I *would* suggest obviously lowering the pace for your possibly dyslexic kiddo, and tailoring her assignment accordingly.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I forgot to include writing: I am thinking IEW for at least the 6th grader, if not both kids.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Apr. 28, 2014 at 7:49 PM
We were using MUS lately, that has been working the best so far but then it stopped. I'm thinking about letting her use a "cheat sheet" for multiplication...at least for a bit as I don't think she is able to memorize them at this point. So if we do that we can move forward with MUS division, and then maybe do CLE grade 5 in the fall..what do you think? I think I'm going to look again for the cards, I'm hoping to find them used, but since you (brilliant, wise Aimee) keep saying they will be worth it, I may just invest in them new!

We did the sample of maping the worth with art, and they both enjoyed it, so I think I will purchase that for the fall. I mentioned it to them today and both loved the idea.

I wonder if we could study the same things in history with DS using catholic textbook project and dd using SOTW?

I will also look into Caesars English. And I am looking for IEW, it is pricey! It also seems like there are a lot of pieces, which pieces do you recommend for their ages/levels?

Thanks for all your help, you're the best :)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I wouldn't use CLE on grade level with a child who struggles with math, unless they were previously using it - it's known for being a bit advanced coming out of other programs (what was she using this year?). Not knowing her multiplication tables has nothing to do with that, really, moreso the concepts and pacing. I love CLE, though. I have the grade 5 TM and I'll look through the contents for you, if you want. CLE has plenty of review, as it is spiral, so it reviews constantly... but, I'll caveat with that multiplication tables aren't built into the review, on their own (that I'm aware of) in the grade 5 books, since that's more of a grade 3-ish skill to have mastered.

I would absolutely invest in some of Dianne Craft's multiplication cards - it is very common for dyslexics to have working memory problems. DON'T hold her back an entire year in math curricula just because of her tables - just let her use a calculator for the textbook work, and build in a drill session later in the day to drill the facts.

Runkle's Geography is great, but if you want to combine them there, they would probably love Ellen McHenry's "Mapping the World With Art" program - art based geography! Fun!

Catholic Schools Textbook Project has a modern history book, but it would need to be read aloud to your dd, although I think your son could handle it. They put out beautiful books.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 7:50 PM
I have a 1st, 7th and 5th grader next yr. My curricula is mostly christian based, and it will be as follows:

English/grammar: Rod & Staff (5 & 7)

Math: math u see (epsilon and pre alg)

Handwriting without tears (remedial for my older two, we have horrid hw)

Social studies: Notgrass "Uncle Sam and Me" middle school civics

Science: apologia astronomy (all kids)

Science: apologia general science (for the 7th grader)

Switched on schoolhouse: elementary spanish

Then they participate in things like choir, drama, art, robotics, etc... and occasional sports.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 7:52 PM
Oh, and I forgot Prentice Hall Literature (7th gr) for the older two and participation in a novel writing series as well as book clubs at the public library and service projects through church.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Me thinks you should be okay with CLE 5 after division, but let me check the TM on that.

It would take A LOT of work to match up SOTW and CSTP - SOTW was meant for elementary, whereas CSTP was meant for upper middle school to high school (grades 7+), and CSTP is much, much more indepth than SOTW... unless you want to detour to American history, in which case you could use their American history book for both of them (grades 5+). <---- that's really a fantastic American history book, and if you buy the TM for it, it has narration exercises, questions, and essay assignments; the workbook is very nice too.

IEW is pricey... but there aren't a ton of pieces, really. If you buy the Student Writing Intensive, you'll have a binder and DVDs. The DVDs are written to the student, but you will need to watch them, if you do not invest in the TWSS program (and really, you don't need the TWSS with the SWI, so long as you're willing to watch the SWI dvds with them). My daughter really enjoyed the DVDs.

Quoting TJandKarasMom: We were using MUS lately, that has been working the best so far but then it stopped. I'm thinking about letting her use a "cheat sheet" for multiplication...at least for a bit as I don't think she is able to memorize them at this point. So if we do that we can move forward with MUS division, and then maybe do CLE grade 5 in the fall..what do you think? I think I'm going to look again for the cards, I'm hoping to find them used, but since you (brilliant, wise Aimee) keep saying they will be worth it, I may just invest in them new! We did the sample of maping the worth with art, and they both enjoyed it, so I think I will purchase that for the fall. I mentioned it to them today and both loved the idea. I wonder if we could study the same things in history with DS using catholic textbook project and dd using SOTW? I will also look into Caesars English. And I am looking for IEW, it is pricey! It also seems like there are a lot of pieces, which pieces do you recommend for their ages/levels? Thanks for all your help, you're the best :)
Quoting AutymsMommy:

TidewaterClan
by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:13 PM

I'm going to use EIW, Essentials in Writing, next year for 7th and 4th grades.  It's $67, so not as pricey as IEW (which I also looked at) and includes DVDs and a workbook.  The teacher who instructs children via the dvds is a little dull, but better him than me!  :)  The 7th grade workbook rolls through figurative language, personal narrative, business letter, persuasive writing, expository essay, compare/contrast essay, descriptive writing, and a research paper (this is a whole section in itself).

Each daily lesson should take about 20 minutes which gives me plenty of time to cover other la items.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:32 PM
I also should have mentioned I am looking for as much independent stuff as possible because I still have to work outside the home and keep house and all that good stuff :)
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:59 PM

I think you could get away with some independent stuff for your boy child - but I'm not sure how successful that would be for your daughter :( I know it stinks, but if she needs remediating, she's going to need direct instruction.

Quoting TJandKarasMom: I also should have mentioned I am looking for as much independent stuff as possible because I still have to work outside the home and keep house and all that good stuff :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN