Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

When the year is done, will you have completed every chapter in the book?

Posted by   + Show Post
PSers rarely finish their textbooks. Do you not stop until you've finished it all or do you go until your stopping date and call it good?
by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:52 AM
Replies (21-30):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 5:18 PM

I meant from School start to school stop. 8)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Maybe I read the post wrong, but I kind of took it that you meant starting a book at the beginning of the school year and finishing it by the end of the year.  We do finish most of our books because I frickin paid for them!  But it takes more than one year for most of them.  I have some pretty good Literature anthologies and we read tons of stories out of them, but we jump around and it takes years to finish them.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Apr. 29, 2014 at 6:04 PM
We finished everything in March. We skipped a couple lessons throughout, but we did go through to the end. We did Waldorf essentials combined with oak meadow, and supplemented a little with all about spelling and math u see. We finished math u see, and AAS completely as well. I bought the next level for both and we will do them here and there. I don't do those two planned out because I use them more for review than part of our curric.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Oh good, I thought I was missing something with everyone saying that they finish them at different times of the year.

Quoting mem82:

I meant from School start to school stop. 8)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Maybe I read the post wrong, but I kind of took it that you meant starting a book at the beginning of the school year and finishing it by the end of the year.  We do finish most of our books because I frickin paid for them!  But it takes more than one year for most of them.  I have some pretty good Literature anthologies and we read tons of stories out of them, but we jump around and it takes years to finish them.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:59 AM
Normally yes...but this year has been different.
My oldest has done great this year. He has learned in leap and bounds..however, we had to slow down to really get some of the stuff to really stick. He is about 2/3 of the way finished with his math book. I was beating myself up, until I spoke with some other PC moms with children in the same grade as him. Turns out (in comparison to other children in his grade) he is a year or so ahead.
So I breathed a sigh of relief, patted ds on the back and told him how proud I am of him. Then again I tell him that on a regulat basis anyways. lol
we are finishing up in the next couple weeks and his Math will not be finished. I'm not worried about it.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:13 PM

What did you use?

Quoting TidewaterClan:

We'll finish most of each book.  The 6th grade social studies/world history had 65 lessons from the start, so we'll finish that up next year (in July!) because we're all enjoying it so much.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:16 PM

If I buy it, then I generally insist on finishing it. If it's something I got for free or cheap, then we might skip around or leave off once the kids have a good understanding of the subject. I'm so cheap..lol

TidewaterClan
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Harcourt Horizons World History. It looks boring on the cover but the insides are great. It's very detailed and runs from 100,00bc to present.

I like it because it covers India, China, South & Central America, as well as Egypt & Europe.

Quoting KickButtMama:

What did you use?

Quoting TidewaterClan:

We'll finish most of each book.  The 6th grade social studies/world history had 65 lessons from the start, so we'll finish that up next year (in July!) because we're all enjoying it so much.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:34 PM

I'll look into it. We're doing US history this year but plan on doing more western civ next year.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Harcourt Horizons World History. It looks boring on the cover but the insides are great. It's very detailed and runs from 100,00bc to present. I like it because it covers India, China, South & Central America, as well as Egypt & Europe.
Quoting KickButtMama:

What did you use?

Quoting TidewaterClan:

TidewaterClan
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:44 PM

It has Europe, but a huge amount is Asia, which is nice for a change.  If you're looking for Western in a European way I wouldn't go for it.

Quoting KickButtMama:

I'll look into it. We're doing US history this year but plan on doing more western civ next year.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Harcourt Horizons World History. It looks boring on the cover but the insides are great. It's very detailed and runs from 100,00bc to present. I like it because it covers India, China, South & Central America, as well as Egypt & Europe.
Quoting KickButtMama:

What did you use?

Quoting TidewaterClan:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Western as non-American...lol...I'm ok with the Far East being in there. 

Quoting TidewaterClan:

It has Europe, but a huge amount is Asia, which is nice for a change.  If you're looking for Western in a European way I wouldn't go for it.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Quoting KickButtMama:

What did you use?

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)