Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

When the year is done, will you have completed every chapter in the book?

Posted by   + Show Post
PSers rarely finish their textbooks. Do you not stop until you've finished it all or do you go until your stopping date and call it good?
by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 8:52 AM
Replies (11-20):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 12:11 PM
8) I said they rarely finish.

Quoting Pink.Frosting:

Usually, no but now that they are in a high school program, yes.  But I disagree that those in PS finish all of the text.  During the short time mine were in PS, there was a lot of jumping around in the texts and certain parts weren't used at all.

JasonsMom2007
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 12:16 PM
Some we will. Some we started mid year and we won't finish those. We do some learning in the summer but not a ton formally.
Jenn8604
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 12:16 PM
It's pages and yeah more than likely. If not he will be working on it over the summer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 1:14 PM
Math and english, we try to finish before changing books. Other stuff depends.

Depends on how far along, if we are enjoying the material, what the next course is and what will be missed, etc.

Example: did not care for rod and staff history, but want to cover at least the civil war and a little post civil war before going on to the civics course next year. So, I'm skimming the book for which chapters I feel would be good to cover before getting there...the rest, we will skip.
DyslexiaParent
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 8:34 AM

We always completed the entirety of every book.  At the beginning of the year, when I was doing my planning, I would check the number of pages, divide that by 180 school days, and determine how many pages per day we needed to cover.  Even if a book is 600 pages, that's only 3.33 pages per day!  I figured there was no reason we couldn't complete the book in a school year. ;-)

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this
It depends on the subject but I plan on finishing and moving on then regardless of when that happens. So if she finishes a math program in march, she'll start the next level in April. Just keep going as though it's one continuous program. Same if she's not done in June, we'll just keep going even if it takes til December.

I may handle content subjects differently but I'm not sure yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:56 AM

The ones we started at the beginning of the year yes. I started a science book about halfway through the year with  no intention of doing every chapter in the book.

bether89
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 3:04 PM

We will be finished with all of our books with the exception of English.  We will do all of the grammar chapters, but will not do the last couple of writing chapters. 

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 4:20 PM
We are finishing all our books this year. It will take all summer for my 7 year old to finish her math but she will do that instead of a summer workbook. The other 3 will each have a summer workbook.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Maybe I read the post wrong, but I kind of took it that you meant starting a book at the beginning of the school year and finishing it by the end of the year.  We do finish most of our books because I frickin paid for them!  But it takes more than one year for most of them.  I have some pretty good Literature anthologies and we read tons of stories out of them, but we jump around and it takes years to finish them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN