Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling is not a competition!

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 12:18 PM
  • 59 Replies
1 mom liked this

I cannot believe all the negativity surrounding homeschooling/unschooling! If a child is learning and growing does it matter how it's happening? 

Here's a couple comments from a fellow homeschooler in my other post. And these aren't the most negative comments by far. Many others swear my son will be a 40 year old, overweight loser living in my basement because I'm not forcing him to write book reports. 

1. Homeschooling was a fail. Unschooling is not homeschool. It's letting your child do what they want when they want. That's not productive to anyone. 

2. You could teach him to read. You had 5 years BEFORE public school to start teaching. Most kids start K5 with at least basic knowledge. All 7 of mine that are school aged read before 4. School like life is stressful. How do you expect him to go on and lead a life when you are failing him? 

3. What is your college degree in? 

I really don't understand the anger. Parenting is not a completion. It doesn't matter if my child learned to walk at 8 months and yours learned at 18 months. Are they both walking? Great! We should strive to raise our kids to be the best people they can be and if your journey looks different than mine, it's okay!

by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 12:28 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't believe in Unschooling for my family but as long as a kid is being taught I really don't care. The only ones I have a problem with are those who say they homeschool but don't do it. "Oh we're unschoolers" when there aren't any books, field trips, anything the kids just play outside without any access to anything educational or any effort to teach them a thing. "Oh my kid is 2 years behind because we don't have time to teach her but we're independent so nobody cares." Not that I don't understand kids being behind but your 2nd grader shouldn't be at kindergarten level. And my favorite "we can't start homeschooling until we finish moving and get settled from a family whose kid is 8 and they've been moving since she was 4. She can't read, write, add, etc just because they won't teach her even though she begs to learn!
Those are the ones who give homeschooling a bad name.
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 12:33 PM
5 moms liked this

There's homeschooling and there's neglect. It's a pity some people can't tell the difference.

Quoting JasonsMom2007: I don't believe in Unschooling for my family but as long as a kid is being taught I really don't care. The only ones I have a problem with are those who say they homeschool but don't do it. "Oh we're unschoolers" when there aren't any books, field trips, anything the kids just play outside without any access to anything educational or any effort to teach them a thing. "Oh my kid is 2 years behind because we don't have time to teach her but we're independent so nobody cares." Not that I don't understand kids being behind but your 2nd grader shouldn't be at kindergarten level. And my favorite "we can't start homeschooling until we finish moving and get settled from a family whose kid is 8 and they've been moving since she was 4. She can't read, write, add, etc just because they won't teach her even though she begs to learn! Those are the ones who give homeschooling a bad name.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on Apr. 28, 2014 at 1:02 PM

I truly don't get it either. 

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Anything unfamiliar is scary and scary = wrong? I don't know.

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 1:09 PM
4 moms liked this

I had to quit reading some of the posts on Practical Homeschooling's Facebook page because I was making myself nuts! All these folks who had their 4 year olds reading on "2nd or3rd grade level" made me feel like I was doing something wrong or like my son was behind even though in my head I knew he was actually ahead of the public school students I used to teach! It can make you bonkers if you let it. I've finally (after almost a year) realized two important things:

1) parents often lie or stretch their child's abilities when talking to others

2) my son will do what he needs to do and learn everything he needs to learn at HIS pace and that's ok.

ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on Apr. 28, 2014 at 1:11 PM

I think that is a lot of it.  Instead of researching it or looking into it many would rather just assume it's wrong.

Quoting paganbaby:

Anything unfamiliar is scary and scary = wrong? I don't know.

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

"My hope is anchored on the other side" -Switchfoot

all2gethernow
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 1:13 PM
2 moms liked this
People insist that homeschooling cannot be done. It drives me crazy. They have no clue what they are talking about for the most part. Just this weekend I was asked where my 13 year old went to school. I replied, he's homeschooled...then they went on to inform me that he'd have to go to school at some point-I couldn't possibly HS him through highschool. Ummm.... Yeah, he's the youngest of four, and two of them are already done highschool-at home-and moved on with their lives.
People are ignorant. Don't let it get to you.
Bleacher-mom
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 1:16 PM
Quoting paganbaby:

There's homeschooling and there's neglect. It's a pity some people can't tell the difference.

Quoting JasonsMom2007: I don't believe in Unschooling for my family but as long as a kid is being taught I really don't care. The only ones I have a problem with are those who say they homeschool but don't do it. "Oh we're unschoolers" when there aren't any books, field trips, anything the kids just play outside without any access to anything educational or any effort to teach them a thing. "Oh my kid is 2 years behind because we don't have time to teach her but we're independent so nobody cares." Not that I don't understand kids being behind but your 2nd grader shouldn't be at kindergarten level. And my favorite "we can't start homeschooling until we finish moving and get settled from a family whose kid is 8 and they've been moving since she was 4. She can't read, write, add, etc just because they won't teach her even though she begs to learn!

Your both right. That is not true homeschooling, and it is neglect. And it is unfortunate that the majority of people can't tell the difference. However, those are the ones that, for us at least, we get bunched up with b/c we have had extreme cases where children were being neglected and abused so it hits the news as A Homeschool Family. Also, I have many family members that are school teachers so they see the bad cases. The ones were where the kids weren't being taught at all and when the parents realize that they can't do it, they send the kids to school with no basic knowledgeand some are even socially aawkward b/c the parents didn't even really homeschooling for the children's benefit, but for their own so they did nothing to expose their children to the world.
Bleacher-mom
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 1:18 PM
Quoting Bleacher-mom:
Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting JasonsMom2007: I don't believe in Unschooling for my family but as long as a kid is being taught I really don't care. The only ones I have a problem with are those who say they homeschool but don't do it. "Oh we're unschoolers" when there aren't any books, field trips, anything the kids just play outside without any access to anything educational or any effort to teach them a thing. "Oh my kid is 2 years behind because we don't have time to teach her but we're independent so nobody cares." Not that I don't understand kids being behind but your 2nd grader shouldn't be at kindergarten level. And my favorite "we can't start homeschooling until we finish moving and get settled from a family whose kid is 8 and they've been moving since she was 4. She can't read, write, add, etc just because they won't teach her even though she begs to learn!

Your both right. That is not true homeschooling, and it is neglect. And it is unfortunate that the majority of people can't tell the difference. However, those are the ones that, for us at least, we get bunched up with b/c we have had extreme cases where children were being neglected and abused so it hits the news as A Homeschool Family. Also, I have many family members that are school teachers so they see the bad cases. The ones were where the kids weren't being taught at all and when the parents realize that they can't do it, they send the kids to school with no basic knowledgeand some are even socially aawkward b/c the parents didn't even really homeschooling for the children's benefit, but for their own so they did nothing to expose their children to the world.

Oh, and we don't even unschool, we have many work books and try to keep a pretty good routine.
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes! My son really didn't learn how to read until this year. Was it because of his bad experience at public school or was it because he just wasn't ready? I don't know and it doesn't matter. He's a super smart kid who has a unquenchable love of learning (science especially!)

I really need to stop letting these other moms bragging about their "perfect" kids bring me down. My son is smart in a lot of things. Everything will fall into place.

Quoting Molimomma:

I had to quit reading some of the posts on Practical Homeschooling's Facebook page because I was making myself nuts! All these folks who had their 4 year olds reading on "2nd or3rd grade level" made me feel like I was doing something wrong or like my son was behind even though in my head I knew he was actually ahead of the public school students I used to teach! It can make you bonkers if you let it. I've finally (after almost a year) realized two important things:

1) parents often lie or stretch their child's abilities when talking to others

2) my son will do what he needs to do and learn everything he needs to learn at HIS pace and that's ok.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN