Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling is not a competition!

Posted by   + Show Post

I cannot believe all the negativity surrounding homeschooling/unschooling! If a child is learning and growing does it matter how it's happening? 

Here's a couple comments from a fellow homeschooler in my other post. And these aren't the most negative comments by far. Many others swear my son will be a 40 year old, overweight loser living in my basement because I'm not forcing him to write book reports. 

1. Homeschooling was a fail. Unschooling is not homeschool. It's letting your child do what they want when they want. That's not productive to anyone. 

2. You could teach him to read. You had 5 years BEFORE public school to start teaching. Most kids start K5 with at least basic knowledge. All 7 of mine that are school aged read before 4. School like life is stressful. How do you expect him to go on and lead a life when you are failing him? 

3. What is your college degree in? 

I really don't understand the anger. Parenting is not a completion. It doesn't matter if my child learned to walk at 8 months and yours learned at 18 months. Are they both walking? Great! We should strive to raise our kids to be the best people they can be and if your journey looks different than mine, it's okay!

by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 12:18 PM
Replies (51-59):
No_Average_Bear
by New Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:20 PM

I skimmed the other thread, and I thought a lot of stuff said was simply ridiculous.

Sadly, life is a competition to many. Personally, I got tired of the rat race. It's a constant uphill battle that didn't really seem worth the fight, and I got sick of it. People confuse me and most of the time, I'm not sure what all the hubbub is about.

I plan to homeschool my son. My mom thinks I'm 'ruining' his life because he 'needs socialization' and to be 'around kids his age' -- even going so far as to tell me I shouldn't have had a kid if I wanted to travel the world, because he needs to 'stay in one place for stability.'

All I could think is Oh my bad, I thought stability came from me being consistent and reliable with him in life. How is learning from the world in person worse than learning about the world from a book sitting in a classroom?

My son is about to be 5. He likes video games, they are great for his coordination, among other things. He can read the alphabet, and a few words, spell things out, but can't read sentences yet. I'm not worried yet my mom is all like "oh you all read by age 4!"...well that's nice mom. He has an imagination -- a huge one! -- and loves to travel, is very social and friendly and flexible.

I'm not worried, my son will be just fine, and he'll get a world of knowledge, literally.

All that to say, he's your son, do what you think is best. Nobody knows your child like you do! :)

Oh and I'm definitely going to introduce my son to Minecraft, it sounds like a great learning tool!

cheerylrob2
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:38 PM

I backed you up:)

Quoting paganbaby:

K but you have to like totally back me in the thread even if you don't agree. *Sniff sniff* So many ladies are being mean.... I need some friends in there,lol

Quoting mem82: What other post? Link me to da drama mama! I'm bored

Linky

autodidact
by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:45 PM

today my five year old did whatever he wanted. MORE MATH. 

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:50 PM

hugs

Quoting cheerylrob2:

I backed you up:)

Quoting paganbaby:

K but you have to like totally back me in the thread even if you don't agree. *Sniff sniff* So many ladies are being mean.... I need some friends in there,lol

Quoting mem82: What other post? Link me to da drama mama! I'm bored

Linky

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:50 PM

high five

Quoting autodidact:

today my five year old did whatever he wanted. MORE MATH. 

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

linz04060913
by Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:55 PM
1 mom liked this

you rock

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:09 AM
BTW I don't think it's bad for little kids' eyes. We were just at the pediatric opthalmologist and my 3 year old is farsighted but the Dr said glasses were not necessary at his age. I asked about him doing close work and he said that's fine, it won't make him any worse. He was first dxed at a year old, this is nothing new.
CalicoMeezer
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:29 AM
I feel for ya Momma. That competitive/ability-stretching thing doesn't stop at public school. Intentionally or not, parents try to compete with each other.

My dd is super-smart. I'm not saying that to brag; she is. Her teachers acknowledge it, her grades and test scores back it up. She reads several reading levels higher than "required" for her grade level, her IQ is 114 (considered "Above Average"), and she has a distinct proclivity for math and art. She is being tested for the Gifted Program at school. She also has a reputation for being kind, generous, compassionate, and well-liked by the teachers and most students; she also has one for being passionate, loud, boisterous, and a bit of a know-it-all! Lol

I have absolutely no reason to feel like my girl is inferior to other kids (never should anyway, since kids are so very different; at this age, abilities are still developing and so many things aren't final for a child, and I believe every kid has a talent), yet some parents will try to poo-poo my dd's acheivements: "Well, yeah, she's smart, but MY daughter's Student of the Month." "We don't care if he makes As, as long as he passes. He's so good at soccer!" As if outstanding behavior or extreme athletic talent are better than academic acheivements.

I even had someone very close to me say "Well good luck with that. You know how it went for ." when I told her that dd's being tested for the Gifted Program. Her child was tested (twice) and didn't make it, and she blames the school's politics (and I agree he got kinda messed over a little), but she seems to think that if HER little genius couldn't make it, then my dd certainly won't.

It's super-frustrating for parents everywhere.

Quoting Molimomma:

I had to quit reading some of the posts on Practical Homeschooling's Facebook page because I was making myself nuts! All these folks who had their 4 year olds reading on "2nd or3rd grade level" made me feel like I was doing something wrong or like my son was behind even though in my head I knew he was actually ahead of the public school students I used to teach! It can make you bonkers if you let it. I've finally (after almost a year) realized two important things:

1) parents often lie or stretch their child's abilities when talking to others

2) my son will do what he needs to do and learn everything he needs to learn at HIS pace and that's ok.

ambcortez
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:37 AM
1 mom liked this

It's because of their own insecurities or ignorance of the topic. I believe that's where judgement stems from. You're raising them the way you feel is best and it's working. Don't let others bring you down.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)