Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Parenting books/novels - what do you read?

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 5:24 PM
  • 13 Replies

Poll

Question: What books do you love reading most?

Options:

Parenting/Marriage books that can change my life & relationships

Novels for creativity & relaxation

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 8

View Results

Do any of you read books on Marriage & Parenting - books with practical stuff for your parenting/life; and does it bug you that you can't read them quickly enough for the message of the book/practical applicable advice to be most effective (or in your memory for long lol)? Or do you read just for relaxation - novels etc? 

I adore 'self help' books on parenting /marriage, always looking for tips on how people squeeze in the time to read and apply :) 

by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 5:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 8:42 PM
I mostly read books on non fiction the most and a few novels. I read for education and relaxation. I consider learning to be very relaxing. I try to read books on things my kids are interested in. I don't read parenting and marriage books very often unless I find one that really catches my interest. I recently joined a book club so I am reading more fiction than normal. I am starting a new Agatha Christie nove soon. It will be the first time I have read one of her books. Reading is one of my favorite ways to relax.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:25 AM

I don't read parenting books.  Sometimes I read homeschooling books, but mostly I read novels, science books, and history books.  I am currently re-reading Howard Zinns' A People's History of the US and I want Lies my Teacher Told Me.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I read novels. I honestly have never read a self help book. Oh,wait. I did read Dr James Dobsons book on the Strong willed Child 20 years ago.
energygirl
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I am always reading a few books at once (although I only get about 15 min to half an hour a day to read them... I read pretty fast.)   I just about wear the interlibrary loan out lol.  My favorite topics are: healthy eating/recipes, gardening and homesteading, and then Christian living.  I have done studies with other women (books like "The Excellent Wife" and "Shepherding a Child's Heart" as well as Beth Moore studies).  If I am feeling discouraged or a bit overwhelmed with homeschooling (there are so many curriculum choices out there) I go to "Educating the Whole Hearted Child" (the best homeschool resource I own...bought old edition off amazon) since it has scripture and practical wisdom and encouragement.  Occasionally (maybe once every 3 or 4 months) I'll pick up a Christian novel (I like the ones by Lori Wick, and Janet Oke) but most of the time I am too busy to read those.  The other kinds of books I can read a chapter here or there, or browse a few pages of recipes and get some ideas.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:17 PM

I don't really get the point of reading self-help books. I'm too cynical for that. But I read tons of fiction.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I love Zinn!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I don't read parenting books.  Sometimes I read homeschooling books, but mostly I read novels, science books, and history books.  I am currently re-reading Howard Zinns' A People's History of the US and I want Lies my Teacher Told Me.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Me too, I pull him out every few years and renew myself.

Quoting KickButtMama:

I love Zinn!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:26 PM

I've read it a few times too. I recently got the digital version of his Young Peoples History of the United States as it is updated through the war on terror. It's great (it's the double copy, not the one broken up into 2 volumes, obviously) 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting KickButtMama:

I love Zinn!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:31 PM

I'm thinking of getting that when we hit US history in 2 years!

Quoting KickButtMama:

I've read it a few times too. I recently got the digital version of his Young Peoples History of the United States as it is updated through the war on terror. It's great (it's the double copy, not the one broken up into 2 volumes, obviously) 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting KickButtMama:

I love Zinn!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:31 PM

It's awesome, just cuts out some of the back story. So I'm glad I was so familiar with the 'adult' books. I'm using both to teach a class for middle/high school homeschoolers at co-op this semester based on those books.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I'm thinking of getting that when we hit US history in 2 years!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting KickButtMama:

I love Zinn!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)