Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Speech therapy for 5 yr old? When should you go?

Posted by   + Show Post

My son has just turned 5, and has always drooled slightly, esp when sick. There are a few sounds he can't say clearly, but I have no idea what is normal for that age. I gently correct him if he says a sound that is wrong, but I don't know when to take him, and I dread the cost. Some weeks/months he doesnt drool at all, I just don't know what level this speech thing is at, it has me randomly stressed, and othertimes totally stress free. Does anyone have a 5 yr old who speaks perfectly (or do they all do at that age already)?! Thanks! :)

by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 5:30 PM
Replies (11-20):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:39 AM
3 moms liked this

At age 5 the sounds r, l, and w often sound the same.  They are very difficult sounds to make.  If your child has thrusting issues the sounds th and f will sound alike and the sh and s sounds will sound alike.  Sometimes kids with thrusting issues (where the tongue thrusts out of the mouth at inappropriate times) will drool slightly or spit (shower) when they say certain words.  There are ways to treat the issue at home.  We have and it has worked wonders!  We started him out when he was 3 and now he only thrusts when he is tired or when he is reading (because he is concentrating on too many other things and not cognizant of where his tongue is).

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:06 AM
Good point about drooling when talking. That would make a difference in treatment. I was assuming the OP meant he was drooling all the time like my LO does.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

At age 5 the sounds r, l, and w often sound the same.  They are very difficult sounds to make.  If your child has thrusting issues the sounds th and f will sound alike and the sh and s sounds will sound alike.  Sometimes kids with thrusting issues (where the tongue thrusts out of the mouth at inappropriate times) will drool slightly or spit (shower) when they say certain words.  There are ways to treat the issue at home.  We have and it has worked wonders!  We started him out when he was 3 and now he only thrusts when he is tired or when he is reading (because he is concentrating on too many other things and not cognizant of where his tongue is).

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:18 AM

I wasn't sure which she meant, so I thought it might help.

Quoting Bluecalm: Good point about drooling when talking. That would make a difference in treatment. I was assuming the OP meant he was drooling all the time like my LO does.
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Jenn8604
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:20 AM
My friends dd is in public school in IN and she was put in ST at 4 for not pronouncing words correctly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Have you spoken to his pediatrician?  I would honestly have him evaluated.  There are lots of low cost, no cost, or sliding scale places that could help him if he does have a speech problem, and it would be better to know and intervene early.  A lot of mispronunciations or tongue tangles are normal for that age, but it's better to know for sure what is going on and what you can do to help him get the best start.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:26 PM

What has the pediatrician said at check-ups? We had my son evaluated when he was 7 and I got tons of complaints that I hadn't taken him when he was a toddler. So I'd say call your doctor tomorrow and set up an appointment.

Kerseygeek
by on May. 1, 2014 at 10:35 PM
My dd goes to speech therapy that is provided through the school district for free and she is 4. Once she starts school she will take speech during the school day as part of her curriculum. I'm surprised that if your ds is 5 and if he's in school then the school hasn't already evaluated him. My other daughter was caught by her teacher to need a little speech help and she went once a week at the beginning of her school day for therapy for about 6 months. Call your school district and ask them if they can help you. If he's in school then ask his teacher if she can have him evaluated.
Kerseygeek
by on May. 1, 2014 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Sorry I just realized that I'm in the homeschooling group. We have had a blended school family. However, your school district may still offer the resources to homeschoolers.
tuffymama
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2014 at 8:34 AM
We had tongue issues, swallowing difficulties, and drooling with my youngest. All of them resolved when we went Paleo to cure his other vax injury symptoms. Have you charted your son's diet to see what he is eating when he is most affected? You say that he sometimes doesn't have the issues, so I'm wondering if it is seasonal and perhaps related to eating more convenience foods and grains, or getting less natural vitamin D3 at certain times of the year or during peaks and valleys of family rhythm? All of this is normal modern lifestyle stuff and you most likely don't need a psychologist or pediatrician to help you chart it, so you can save money there. Once I started researching ASD, vax injury, SPD, speech delays, GAPS Diet, Paleo, and ADHD, I found loads of information that all led me to the diet change. There are some blends (sp- and tr- in particular) that are still impossible for LO to sound out, but he has made so much progress and I work with him every day. He had tongue tie as an infant and DH had a lisp as a child, so it's not like this is a shock for us. We've decided to give him another year working at home before we take him back to the SLP. I urge you to look into healing with diet because that is the one common solution amongst all the ladies I know who've had success treating their kids' issues, and these issues range from bedwetting to ODD, and one child had even received a pre-diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder. In elementary school! So, do some poking around and see what you think. Good luck!
tuffymama
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2014 at 8:36 AM
Quoting KickButtMama:

What has the pediatrician said at check-ups? We had my son evaluated when he was 7 and I got tons of complaints that I hadn't taken him when he was a toddler. So I'd say call your doctor tomorrow and set up an appointment.

Grrrr. I hope your feelings weren't hurt by the complaints. So many kids actually do grow out of speech issues, and there are some convincing arguments against needless early intervention.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN