Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Speech therapy for 5 yr old? When should you go?

Posted by   + Show Post

My son has just turned 5, and has always drooled slightly, esp when sick. There are a few sounds he can't say clearly, but I have no idea what is normal for that age. I gently correct him if he says a sound that is wrong, but I don't know when to take him, and I dread the cost. Some weeks/months he doesnt drool at all, I just don't know what level this speech thing is at, it has me randomly stressed, and othertimes totally stress free. Does anyone have a 5 yr old who speaks perfectly (or do they all do at that age already)?! Thanks! :)

by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 5:30 PM
Replies (21-26):
mommaof697
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 8:48 AM

my dr diagnosed my 5 yr old with a speech delay. I told her well if she has one my other 3 has one too because they are older and still can't talk well. So I ended up taking 4 kids into speech therapy 1 day a week for a year. They did it all back to back so I was not going there everyday. I had insurance so my cost was $1 a kid or so. (because the dr refered them. my ins. covered it)

reeboxy
by on May. 2, 2014 at 8:52 AM
Yes, Speech therapy would not hurt him. Let the therapist look at him. They will let you know. The earlier is better. Henderson,SLP
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2014 at 11:59 PM
If he isn't compulsory attendance age, he might still qualify for help under the early intervention program for the early ed department in your school district.

Also, our tax money goes into the school diatrict, I just always thought the district was supposed to provide these services. I don't have actual knowledge of it, though.

3xangel
by on May. 3, 2014 at 12:12 AM
He should've been in speech therapy a long time ago. I enrolled my ds in speech therapy as soon as we noticed his speech issues at the age of 3.
harper102711
by on May. 3, 2014 at 12:13 AM
My son will be 5 in November. He drooled ALOT when he was younger and was put on medication for it, but one of the side effects was decreased sweating. Instead of sweating he would get beat red. He also has limited range of motion in his jaw and the back of his tongue is larger/smaller than the opposite side. His speech is really clear at times and not so clear at other times...not sure if we should look into speech therapy either...
mirlag
by on May. 3, 2014 at 1:23 AM

Hi HeidiDJF,

I am a speech pathologist. Most children say all their sounds correctly, with the possible exception of "th," by the time they are 5. If there are a few sounds he can't say clearly, I am wondering if strangers have a hard time understanding him. I recommend that you have him evaluated by a speech pathologist. Don't wait because if he needs help it will be cheaper now and take less time now than if you wait until he is older.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN