Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Pennsylvania HS moms, please help

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:21 AM
  • 3 Replies

So, under PA law I wouldn't have to register my child till age 8. I'm HSing my girls age 6 and 7 next year. They are going into 1st and 2nd grade. Since they have already been enrolled in PS, will I have to go through the registering procedures or just tell the district that Im pulling them and then go through the process when they turn 8? I'm a bit confused! Hope my question made sense.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Because they were in PS you will need to register them early.  You will need to send an affidavit along with a list of objectives.  Then you will need to keep a log of books used each day for the number of days your school district has left in their school year.  So if they are on day 160, you would need to keep track of what you do for 20 days.  Keep the log in your portfolio along with worksheets and pictures of things you do for those days.  You will also need an evaluator to look over your portfolio (usually sometime in June) and write a letter verifying your progress.

Roisin07
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Thanks! I did this process once before with my son, but I forget most of what I did! So they will just need 20 days worth of information from the school year in the portfolio? As far as the evaluator goes; it states that a teacher or a teacher who isn't a PS teacher can do the evaluation. Do you think my DH could do this. He is a teacher within an Adult training facility. Or does it have to be someone not related? I do know a psyhologist I could use, but this part seems like more of a pain in the rear!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Because they were in PS you will need to register them early.  You will need to send an affidavit along with a list of objectives.  Then you will need to keep a log of books used each day for the number of days your school district has left in their school year.  So if they are on day 160, you would need to keep track of what you do for 20 days.  Keep the log in your portfolio along with worksheets and pictures of things you do for those days.  You will also need an evaluator to look over your portfolio (usually sometime in June) and write a letter verifying your progress.

CafeMom Tickers
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Wait, you'll need to do the number of days left in the school that you pulled them out of.  Our local PS has nearly 40 days left, so you'll need to look into that.  If you do a full year of homeschooling, you will need 180 days worth of attendance in the portfolio and examples of work from the beginning and end of the year in each subject you teach.

No hubby cannot be your evaluator. The evaluator must be a teacher that is certified to teach in the grade level your child is in.  So your evaluator would have to be an elementary teacher (someone who either teaches in a Pennsylvania elementary school, substitutes in a PA elementary school, or tutors elementary school aged kids.)  Most schools will not accept an evaluation from a psychologist.

Quoting Roisin07:

Thanks! I did this process once before with my son, but I forget most of what I did! So they will just need 20 days worth of information from the school year in the portfolio? As far as the evaluator goes; it states that a teacher or a teacher who isn't a PS teacher can do the evaluation. Do you think my DH could do this. He is a teacher within an Adult training facility. Or does it have to be someone not related? I do know a psyhologist I could use, but this part seems like more of a pain in the rear!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN