Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

CAT for 5 yr old?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:34 AM
  • 3 Replies

My county needs kids grades 2nd and higher to be tested at the end of the school year. I am gonna try to test at the end of may with the CAT and am trying to decide if I should test Malachi. He is only K so its not needed for the county. I wanted to test just to see how he would do, but I know he is behind for grade level (technically he wouldn't start K until the upcoming school year if in public school) I am trying to decide if its beneficial in the least to give a young 5 yr old a $25 2 1/2 hr test when its not needed by the county? I dont know if it would encourage or discourage me on how he is doing? My Hubby thinks we should test just to see how he does, get a gage. He also thinks it will help me visually see the progress next year. What are your thoughts would you test?

by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this

If the test needs to be given all together, I would not.  But if you can break it up into small chunks and you think it would be helpful to get some feedback go for it.  I don't test mine until at least the end of first grade (so 7 years old).

collinsmommy0
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 11:44 PM
It's a standardized test? Just from experience as a special Ed teacher, Kinders and even first graders often test really high on those but then their actual classroom achievement may not match.

As an example, one standardized test I used to give had the reading comprehension as a fill in the blank sentence....if you knew 1-2 basic words you could figure out the blank because there was a picture up to the average 2nd grader response....yet a second grade worksheet or book isn't one sentence with a simple picture. And another test I used to give placed students at a end of kinder level if they knew most of their letters.....

But idk anything about the cat so I'm really no help
Jenn8604
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 11:47 PM
I personally would wait.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)