Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CAT for 5 yr old?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:34 AM
  • 3 Replies

My county needs kids grades 2nd and higher to be tested at the end of the school year. I am gonna try to test at the end of may with the CAT and am trying to decide if I should test Malachi. He is only K so its not needed for the county. I wanted to test just to see how he would do, but I know he is behind for grade level (technically he wouldn't start K until the upcoming school year if in public school) I am trying to decide if its beneficial in the least to give a young 5 yr old a $25 2 1/2 hr test when its not needed by the county? I dont know if it would encourage or discourage me on how he is doing? My Hubby thinks we should test just to see how he does, get a gage. He also thinks it will help me visually see the progress next year. What are your thoughts would you test?

by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
bluerooffarm
by Group Admin on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this

If the test needs to be given all together, I would not.  But if you can break it up into small chunks and you think it would be helpful to get some feedback go for it.  I don't test mine until at least the end of first grade (so 7 years old).

collinsmommy0
by Kim on May. 1, 2014 at 11:44 PM
It's a standardized test? Just from experience as a special Ed teacher, Kinders and even first graders often test really high on those but then their actual classroom achievement may not match.

As an example, one standardized test I used to give had the reading comprehension as a fill in the blank sentence....if you knew 1-2 basic words you could figure out the blank because there was a picture up to the average 2nd grader response....yet a second grade worksheet or book isn't one sentence with a simple picture. And another test I used to give placed students at a end of kinder level if they knew most of their letters.....

But idk anything about the cat so I'm really no help
Jenn8604
by on May. 1, 2014 at 11:47 PM
I personally would wait.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN