Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How many hours do you put in daily?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:57 AM
  • 27 Replies

My 5 yr old is only working for about 30-45 mins. Depending on how my 8 yr old works he normally finishes his work under 2 hrs. Should I be expecting them to work longer?? Or as long as we are covering the work should I not worry? Also how many subjects do you do? And how many pages of each subject?

Today for example I did Science, History, and Heath with the boys. I read a section (which is normally 2 or 3 pages) and read the review questions. We discussed it! Then my youngest homeschooler practiced at and an word on starfall and read Zac the Rat book! Then he did 1 math page and 1 Letter and Sounds page from his abeka books. I normally have him practice writing something as well but I didn't today. My oldest read 1 story from his Read & Think which is what I have him using right now for reading (He has struggled in reading but really has improved this year. I am planning to finish the Read & Think this year and then add addition reading next year) Then he did one page of Math and one page of English. We have given up on spelling this year. I will introduce it again next year in hope that with his reading improving his spelling will to. 

But that is practically our days work. Occasionally we throw in an art. But we really dont have extra subjects not sure if I should throw it in or not!

by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Every child/family works at a different pace. We've done everything from only a couple of hours a day to longer, depending on the subject and the kids mood.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:25 PM
My boys are in 4th and 6th grade. We do about 3-4 hours per day of a mixture of things. As far as spelling goes I found their spelling increased once they started writing more. I would add in some projects. Something they are really interested in doing. Maybe some science or math journals. Are you doing any hands on science experiments? There are some really cool math project ideas out there. Maybe pick some neat audio books to let listen to in the evening. We listen to literature, science and history books quite often. You can get story of the world on CD. We just started volume 2.
Perfection221
by New Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Ditto to what KickButtMama said.  It really is go with the flow.  As long as they are progressing and doing the work don't watch the clock.  Some days we cover 6-7 lessons, some days 3-4.  That is the beauty of homeschooling.  Sounds to me like you are doing great momma.  Keep it up!

Nichole

p.s.  What is read and think?  I use the pathways readers series.  My dd struggled with reading and this helped her as well as with spelling because it covers so much of the language arts. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this

For us personally my 5yo does 6 15-20 minute sit down sessions and another 3 15-20 minute active sessions.

My 7yo does 2 45 minute (math and reading) and 3 20 minute (history, science, geography) sit down sessions and 3 15-20 minute (science, history, and phonics) active sessions.  Plus art, music or home-ec each day.

My 9yo does 4 60 minute (Reading, free reading, math, and language arts-spelling grammar and writing) sit down sessions 3 20 minute sit down sessions (science history and geography) 3 20 minute active sessions (history, science, a foreign language). Plus music, art, home-ec OR health/safety/nutrition each day.

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 12:47 PM

My 4.5 yr. old son & I do an hour of specific sit-down school work. That's when we do handwriting, a math activity, and phonics activity, and a craft or art project. Some days there is a science activity too and we always read 1 theme related book as well. I don't count his playdough, sensory bin, puzzles as school though they usually go with our theme as well but we don't do them every single day. I plan for school to be an hour each day and everything above and beyond that is just bonus. As he gets older it will go longer but an hour worth of academics is plenty for a 4.5 year old. He gets more reading at night for bedtime stories and he works on a few different educational aps on his iPad too but I don't force him to do a certain amount of time at this point.

JadeTigr7
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 1:29 PM

With 3 kids doing school we spend about 3-4 hours on average a day.  Sometimes shorter and sometimes longer, but that's about average for us.  I have a 4th, 3rd and kindergartener.

We do block scheduling, so only 2-3 subjecs a day for the two older ones, and my kindergartener does all subjects every day.  I'll start block scheduling for him in 2nd when he joins history and science with his older siblings. 

NoraDun
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

It came with the Abeka curriculum. Its just meant to be a practice. But we use it as our reading because he was bored with the Abeka reading and he needed something shorter but challenging that had questions to help with his comprehension!

Quoting Perfection221:

Ditto to what KickButtMama said.  It really is go with the flow.  As long as they are progressing and doing the work don't watch the clock.  Some days we cover 6-7 lessons, some days 3-4.  That is the beauty of homeschooling.  Sounds to me like you are doing great momma.  Keep it up!

Nichole

p.s.  What is read and think?  I use the pathways readers series.  My dd struggled with reading and this helped her as well as with spelling because it covers so much of the language arts. 

MaryJarrett
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 1:33 PM
Usually about 4 hours total. But it varies based on kids' moods and amount of lessons. We use MFW curriculum for my 1st grader and homemade for my preK/K kiddo.
NoraDun
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 1:34 PM

OMGoodness you sound so organized LOL I am jealous!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

For us personally my 5yo does 6 15-20 minute sit down sessions and another 3 15-20 minute active sessions.

My 7yo does 2 45 minute (math and reading) and 3 20 minute (history, science, geography) sit down sessions and 3 15-20 minute (science, history, and phonics) active sessions.  Plus art, music or home-ec each day.

My 9yo does 4 60 minute (Reading, free reading, math, and language arts-spelling grammar and writing) sit down sessions 3 20 minute sit down sessions (science history and geography) 3 20 minute active sessions (history, science, a foreign language). Plus music, art, home-ec OR health/safety/nutrition each day.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Oh no!  Don't be jealous of me.  I am not that organized!  If my head weren't attached I'm sure I would have lost it by now!  LOL  I just need to keep things timed and active or my oldest would get carrried away and school would last all day and my youngest (think ADHD) would go crazy.  

Quoting NoraDun:

OMGoodness you sound so organized LOL I am jealous!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN