Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

may change math curriculum

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 6:08 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hello everyone,

Here is my problem.

My son, is 7 1/2, he's a young 2nd grader. He just finished his 1st grade math, we used Singapore Math, and is now on the second grade math book. He is frustrated. I think maybe I dond't spend enough time working with him before giving his assignments, or if he needs more time and I am pushing too hard, or maybe he needs a new curriculum. We started doing Math U See today (we already had the blocks) and he didn't want to do it, but I did see a little relief because the first part was super easy (but then he thought he wasn't smart enough, and was overwelmed with the size of the book). I don't know what to do. Maybe just try these two, what if neither of them work?

Also, since he was born in October, he is a young second grader, maybe I should have put him in first grade, but I thought it didn't matter since we homeschool, but our charter excepts certain things from him, like to do second grade math and start third grade by next year. Should I hold him back maybe? I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 6:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
melindabelcher
by Mel on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:08 PM

We tailor our curriculum to our childs ability. 

There may be years they do a subject a year below them and another subject 2 years ahead of them. Thats why we homeschool. 

I think if your son isn't doing so well with the current curriculum definetly change it up. Is there any way you can remove one worksheet at a time so he doesn't get overwhelmed by the size of the book. 

We use saxon and like it, but Marcus needs plain black and white pages so not to distract/over stimulate him. A good friend of mine is just starting her homeschool journey and found horizon math to be most compareable to the public school she is taking her out of. Have you been to a conference? Vendors being there and you being able to actually compare curriculum is a great feature. 

4wildbeasts
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:23 PM
We use Singapore Math and I really like it. However I make sure they master what they are learning before we move on. Also every few weeks we spend a week just doing a basic addition or subtraction worksheet every day. It gives them a break from learning new concepts and the easier the basics become, the easier new more challenging material will be.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Apr. 30, 2014 at 7:59 PM

I would touch base with the charter and see what they will allow when it comes to adjusting to individual students needs. Maybe you can just repeat 1st grade math, without 'holding him back' (that concept bugs me though). Math U See is a fantastic curriculum. My youngest was the type to be attitude city, because he is a perfectionist. So he would pitch a fit if, within 30 seconds, he doesn't get the right answer. Even on a completely new concept. For us ixl.com was great, since it's basically an online workbook. He doesn't see how many problems there are as only one appears on the screen at a time. It doesn't teach anything much, like a curriculum, but it's great for practice. Good luck!

Precious333
by Julia on May. 1, 2014 at 12:21 AM
I have seen some other curriculum. That's a good idea, maybe i can tear a page out at a time. I have been to one years ago, maybe ita time to go again :)

Quoting melindabelcher:

We tailor our curriculum to our childs ability. 

There may be years they do a subject a year below them and another subject 2 years ahead of them. Thats why we homeschool. 

I think if your son isn't doing so well with the current curriculum definetly change it up. Is there any way you can remove one worksheet at a time so he doesn't get overwhelmed by the size of the book. 

We use saxon and like it, but Marcus needs plain black and white pages so not to distract/over stimulate him. A good friend of mine is just starting her homeschool journey and found horizon math to be most compareable to the public school she is taking her out of. Have you been to a conference? Vendors being there and you being able to actually compare curriculum is a great feature. 

Precious333
by Julia on May. 1, 2014 at 12:21 AM
I like that idea!!!

Quoting 4wildbeasts: We use Singapore Math and I really like it. However I make sure they master what they are learning before we move on. Also every few weeks we spend a week just doing a basic addition or subtraction worksheet every day. It gives them a break from learning new concepts and the easier the basics become, the easier new more challenging material will be.
Precious333
by Julia on May. 1, 2014 at 12:23 AM
Thats a great idea! Maybe not hold him back but not stress about the math he is doing either. The only thing that concerns me is that next year he will be required to do out of home testing, unless we can get a 405 or whatever plan. I think he would do well with online math too, with the math u see blocks maybe

Quoting KickButtMama:

I would touch base with the charter and see what they will allow when it comes to adjusting to individual students needs. Maybe you can just repeat 1st grade math, without 'holding him back' (that concept bugs me though). Math U See is a fantastic curriculum. My youngest was the type to be attitude city, because he is a perfectionist. So he would pitch a fit if, within 30 seconds, he doesn't get the right answer. Even on a completely new concept. For us ixl.com was great, since it's basically an online workbook. He doesn't see how many problems there are as only one appears on the screen at a time. It doesn't teach anything much, like a curriculum, but it's great for practice. Good luck!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2014 at 12:35 AM
1 mom liked this
We are enjoying math u see. If the size of the book is intimidating, tear out the pages and only give him a few at a time. After he has done a good chunk, show him the book with a bunch of pages tore out and celebrate.
TidewaterClan
by on May. 3, 2014 at 1:25 PM

My youngest had a horrible time with math during ps, but 99% of that was from being rushed along.  We took as much time as we needed each day (with lots of patience) for her to absorb the concepts and she's so much better off.  We also broke away from the book (Math in Focus - the Singapore Approach) to REALLY grasp subtraction, multiplication, etc., and then move on with the book.

I agree with Shannon, and would check with the co-op on slowing down as needed before zipping along to the next topic.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)