Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

can I share a student project? and get thoughts?

Posted by on May. 1, 2014 at 4:47 PM
  • 11 Replies

this is my 10 year old, end of 4th grader's work. He reads pretty well and the book was obvioulsy easy for him - he started it this morning and finished the report today!

I asked him to write a book report yesterday (we need some portfolio work to hand in to the district in a month!) and he got really upset and teary that he can't write a book report. So I showed him pictures on-line of ideas like this one. He read the entire book independently this morning in probably less than 2 hours! So we just moved along! He has not ever been very good at working independently on assigned work, but has made a lot of progress this year. I helped him with each card, as in said, "Do a card for a prediction. Do a card for Characters. Do a card for questions for the author..." I did help him explicitly with problem and solution, and we talked about if it was really a book about shark attacks or was it a book about how friends get along? So I like to think that is more me teaching about conflict and resolution in literature, than it is me doing the work for him - does that sound about right? I guess I'm a little insecure that the level of work is ok or that he needs too much support from me. Parts of it are done with the computer and I help with that because otherwise he'd print out a million pages, and I know I can consolidate the typing on the same page as the shark pics, etc. to save paper and toner.

thanks!

by on May. 1, 2014 at 4:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2014 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it looks great!!  I've seen some late middle school work that was not that nice.  Seriously!  Tell him good job!

LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2014 at 5:58 PM
1 mom liked this

That's sweet. I'm gonna steal it!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 1, 2014 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Love it! I think it's perfectly acceptable to give that type of help. He'd get it from a teacher in PS, they don't just assign it and then wait for the final product, right?

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2014 at 8:01 PM

yeah, come to think of it, PS would assign it and then half the parents would do all the work at home!!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Love it! I think it's perfectly acceptable to give that type of help. He'd get it from a teacher in PS, they don't just assign it and then wait for the final product, right?

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on May. 1, 2014 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it's perfect for his grade! And you instructing him is not the same as doing it for him..it's you teaching him, and that's your job! So I say great job to both of you!
collinsmommy0
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this
That's really cool!
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2014 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Very cool!

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2014 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you gave just the right amount of support.

coala
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2014 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that looks pretty cool.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2014 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a 4th grader and that would be great for him.

At this age, he can do stuff he is familiar and comfortable with on his own, but still needs help seeing actual examples before being able to produce his own.

Show him this way on two or three different ways to do a report and then let him try one on his own more. You can still help with the computer use and stuff.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)