Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

can I share a student project? and get thoughts?

Posted by   + Show Post

this is my 10 year old, end of 4th grader's work. He reads pretty well and the book was obvioulsy easy for him - he started it this morning and finished the report today!

I asked him to write a book report yesterday (we need some portfolio work to hand in to the district in a month!) and he got really upset and teary that he can't write a book report. So I showed him pictures on-line of ideas like this one. He read the entire book independently this morning in probably less than 2 hours! So we just moved along! He has not ever been very good at working independently on assigned work, but has made a lot of progress this year. I helped him with each card, as in said, "Do a card for a prediction. Do a card for Characters. Do a card for questions for the author..." I did help him explicitly with problem and solution, and we talked about if it was really a book about shark attacks or was it a book about how friends get along? So I like to think that is more me teaching about conflict and resolution in literature, than it is me doing the work for him - does that sound about right? I guess I'm a little insecure that the level of work is ok or that he needs too much support from me. Parts of it are done with the computer and I help with that because otherwise he'd print out a million pages, and I know I can consolidate the typing on the same page as the shark pics, etc. to save paper and toner.

thanks!

by on May. 1, 2014 at 4:47 PM
Replies (11-11):
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 8:09 PM

thanks all, for the replies!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN