Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

anothet question, Math U See

Posted by on May. 3, 2014 at 1:19 AM
  • 7 Replies
So, i am trying out Math U See. My son was complaining about it, but I think he is liking it. The problem I have is with the math grammar. I know they seem to change some things, like instead of reading 16 as sixteen, they say 1 T 6. I understand why, but I want to use math grammar that all/most people use. i dont want made up grammar. If you know anything about math u see, are there a lot of grammar changes? How do you approach this?
by on May. 3, 2014 at 1:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 1:58 AM
Yes he teaches them both forms; onety two and twelve. I wouldn't worry about that. My son has started at Primer and is now on Alpha and he knows that onety two is really called twelve. It's helped him a great deal with writing his numbers correctly as well. Just let the program do it's job and you'll see that he'll say 12 when talking to you or others about numbers.
Precious333
by Julia on May. 3, 2014 at 2:44 AM
Ok thanks! Do you know if there are any other things he switches around?

Quoting chotovec82: Yes he teaches them both forms; onety two and twelve. I wouldn't worry about that. My son has started at Primer and is now on Alpha and he knows that onety two is really called twelve. It's helped him a great deal with writing his numbers correctly as well. Just let the program do it's job and you'll see that he'll say 12 when talking to you or others about numbers.
Precious333
by Julia on May. 3, 2014 at 2:45 AM
Btw, sorry for all the typos!
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 10:15 AM

i started wiht alpha, and I thought he only kind of used that as an explaination of how eleven is ten plus one, and twelve is ten plus two, etc. I didn't see it explicitly used in the aplha or beyond workbook anywhere. Also, my sone was 9 when he started Alpha (started there for review and remediation) and had been thru a PS math program, so he pretty much had the grasp of that by that time...

I"ve really liked Alpha, Beta and Gamma and plan to keep buying. I can't think of anything else that he switches around much, at least not in any way that doesn't make a lot of sense. I really like how he does multiplication and gets them used to other ways to notate multiplication (like 8n=32 solve for n, or (4)(2)=8, or 3•4=12, etc) I also really like how he give the option in multiple digit multiplication to not carry up on top to the tens place, but to put the numbers below, and do all the addition at once. That has helped my son alot with organization and not confusing what he's supposed to be multiplying or adding.

Precious333
by Julia on May. 3, 2014 at 10:18 AM
Ok, thanks! We are on the beta book.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2014 at 4:17 PM
I used gamma, zeta, and primer this year. The only time I noticed it was in the primer and my son just said he doesn't remember him talking about the teens that way in his gamma level.

I was more hands off and they did the work themselves, so I figured I'd ask them.
No_Difference
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2014 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I did NOT teach my kids to say it that way.  I started my youngest with the Primer, and he's halfway through Alpha, and he knows all his numbers as twelve, thirteen, fourteen, etc. I thought that way was too confusing since he already knew all those numbers before we started with math. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN