Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

are you all done buying/all prepared for next year?

Posted by   + Show Post
We thought we were and then decided that since Kaycee is in 7th next year she needed a science higher than the elementary series we have been doing.

We decided to add apologia's general science for her. After that, I think I will be prepped.

Only issue is we are waiting to see if we are buying a home or not *preapproval process and house hunting*

We may just keep going with what we have and stop and start a new year after we are settled.

Otherwise, we really needed to have schooled through the summer.
by on May. 3, 2014 at 4:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 1:21 AM
Advice??? Um...

1. Don't over do it. You can add to it, but can't help but regret overspending on stuff you rarely use.

2. Know your state requirements, any special needs/considerations and decide what areas are most important to your family.

3. Once your child is of an age to actively write daily with pencils, invest in a quality sharpener.

4. Fill the down times with simple and fun educational games/stories/etc. You can count all of that toward your hours/days/etc.

Quoting drinkme8184: Next year will be our first year.I'm in school myself and finals are this week so that is what I am focusing on. After that, I am doing all my planning and scheduling. Any advice?
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 1:24 AM
Some of you are mentioning supplies. I guess I was only considering mainly curriculum because I have supplies I need to update.

Mainly paper, pencils, tape, glue sticks.

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2014 at 2:43 AM
I've placed orders for everything but it's not all here yet. I'll spend time looking through it all, but barring any problems, I'm done. Except for basic supplies which I'll stock up on during back to school sales.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2014 at 6:47 AM

i haven't bought anything yet, but have my plan pretty much set

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2014 at 8:21 AM

I have pretty much everything for 8th grade.  Most of what we already use will be carried over, like:  TT Algebra 1, Getting Started with Spanish, and Runkle's Geography, and Daily Sparks, Writing, Vocabulary, & Spelling

I will be purchasing a couple of things, but I'll prbably wait til the summer:  Apologia Physical Science (~$135)  & K12 Human Odyssey 2 (I'll buy this used).  

jen2150
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 8:56 AM
We are never done it seems. Has she had pre-algebra? I considered it for my son next year but it requires some pre-algebra. Oh, wait I may be thinking of physical science. We are doing apologia's phyics and chemistry for young exployers next year. I still have to buy that book and math u see pre-alegebra. I am doing a cool new history idea using living books so I am still compiling books for that. I found some really neat ebooks that look awesome.
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on May. 4, 2014 at 9:05 AM
Omg not even close. I am lost and I keep just shoving it aside because I don't know what I'm doing, lol. Also, DH just spent our savings (it was saved for him to spend...but I secretly hoped he wouldn't so I could buy whatever curriculum I pleased, lol). We are having a curriculum sale mid June so I'm hoping I will know what I want by then and hopefully will find it all there.

Good luck with buying a house! We have been through the process four times now, the first time we were approved but the market was outrageous and we decided to wait...while waiting we did an amazing job racking up student loans...so the next three times we couldn't get approved :(. Oh well, maybe someday. Hope the process goes smoothly for you!!
annabelle125
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 10:53 AM
We haven't even started. Which is very unlike me and is giving me anxiety! But, we have had some money issues pop up, so buying anything has been pushed back. We should be able to get started in June.
TidewaterClan
by on May. 4, 2014 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I have everything except some zippy art and music.  I thought ahead before the convention and wrote down the supply list for our science labs, and bought those too.  

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this
She just started math u see pre algebra and is about 1/5 of the way into it.

That is good to know the math angle of science. Thanks for the tip.

Quoting jen2150: We are never done it seems. Has she had pre-algebra? I considered it for my son next year but it requires some pre-algebra. Oh, wait I may be thinking of physical science. We are doing apologia's phyics and chemistry for young exployers next year. I still have to buy that book and math u see pre-alegebra. I am doing a cool new history idea using living books so I am still compiling books for that. I found some really neat ebooks that look awesome.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN