Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Algebra I - 7th or 8th grade?

Posted by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:20 PM
  • 40 Replies

Hey Ladies!

When do (or have) you plan to start Algebra I with your children?  I purchased Algebra I for Haley's 7th grade next year, since she enjoys all of the pre-algebra math we've done.  She has a good grasp on all of the other math topics, so I think it's safe to move on.  Would there be a reason to stick with 'all-around' math?

by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2014 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this

If she's ready, she's ready. Just take it slowly.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

TidewaterClan
by on May. 4, 2014 at 10:27 PM
Good advice. Plus at this point we have time to slowly conquer this and the other precalculus math classes.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

If she's ready, she's ready. Just take it slowly.

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2014 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this

We're doing Algebra 1 now (7th grade) because I felt ds was ready.   He's using Teaching Textbooks, which starts out with lots of review.  He began the program in March, he's up to Lesson 25, and is doing very well so far (getting a 92 on both tests).   We'll probably stretch this into 8th grade.  No rush.  I'd rather go slowly where he has full understanding, than try to get done quickly.  

So, yeah, go for it if you feel she's ready.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 4, 2014 at 11:54 PM
2 moms liked this
We.did the TT pre-algebra this year and it was a lot.of.review since he had done Math U See previously and had a grasp of the basics of it. It has actually.been a huge confidence booster.for him to get mostly 100%s and a few in the 90s.

We.probably should have just done Algebra this year (8th) but he used to struggle a lot with math so we took it slow.
Jenn8604
by Member on May. 4, 2014 at 11:58 PM
2 moms liked this
NEVER!!!!
Someone else will have to do that. I barely made a C in algebra. I can't teach it to someone else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I personally plan on taking the 7th grade year to balance a checkbook, teach how to read and complete tax forms, make a budget, and all that jazz.  I started algebra in 7th grade, but I felt over my head with it.  Plus no one ever taught those kinds of things in the PS and it's soooooo important.  I could probably do both, but I'd rather give it some time.

That said, if she's ready, go for it!  You'll take it at her pace unlike my ps teacher, and she'll have the resources she needs!

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I started Missie on previous Algebra in 6th but actually picked a harder course and gave it to her again in 7th. Now, she is more than ready to start Algebra 1 in 8th grade.
jen2150
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this
8th grade for us. I didn't start till 9th grade and failed because it went too fast. I had to go back and take pre algebra. Amazing how different homeschooling is than a traditional. I think it depends on the needs of the child. My son wants to take a python class in 8th so we need to do pre algebra in 7th. I don't think there is a right age especially when you are homeschooling. It is very easy to back track when you are homeschooling. I also plan on still doing a lot of math Projects.
TidewaterClan
by on May. 5, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Wonderful test grades!  We'll stretch it out too. I love having the freedom to finish the books without the stress of a time limit.

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

We're doing Algebra 1 now (7th grade) because I felt ds was ready.   He's using Teaching Textbooks, which starts out with lots of review.  He began the program in March, he's up to Lesson 25, and is doing very well so far (getting a 92 on both tests).   We'll probably stretch this into 8th grade.  No rush.  I'd rather go slowly where he has full understanding, than try to get done quickly.  

So, yeah, go for it if you feel she's ready.

TidewaterClan
by on May. 5, 2014 at 9:44 AM

TT sounds like a great segue into algebra.  I'll write that down in case this is too much right now.

I'm sure next year will be less stressful for your son with the confidence, and great grades backing him up.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: We.did the TT pre-algebra this year and it was a lot.of.review since he had done Math U See previously and had a grasp of the basics of it. It has actually.been a huge confidence booster.for him to get mostly 100%s and a few in the 90s. We.probably should have just done Algebra this year (8th) but he used to struggle a lot with math so we took it slow.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)