Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Algebra I - 7th or 8th grade?

Posted by   + Show Post

Hey Ladies!

When do (or have) you plan to start Algebra I with your children?  I purchased Algebra I for Haley's 7th grade next year, since she enjoys all of the pre-algebra math we've done.  She has a good grasp on all of the other math topics, so I think it's safe to move on.  Would there be a reason to stick with 'all-around' math?

by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:20 PM
Replies (11-20):
TidewaterClan
by on May. 5, 2014 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm sure you're not giving yourself enough credit!  

Quoting Jenn8604: NEVER!!!! Someone else will have to do that. I barely made a C in algebra. I can't teach it to someone else.

Jenn8604
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh no Algebra was a NIGHTMARE! I never want to see it again. Still have yet to use it in real life
Ive never worked to get s on top t on bottom and then reduce and that.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting Jenn8604: NEVER!!!!
Someone else will have to do that. I barely made a C in algebra. I can't teach it to someone else.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TidewaterClan
by on May. 5, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Awesome plan on the real life math.  Most of the teenagers I know have no clue about any of that.  Hmmm . . . I'll need to add that into my grand master plan somewhere.

Homeschool is so great; I love not having the yearly time restraints so she can take as long as she needs.  I took algebra in the 7th grade too, but was extremely lucky.  Our teacher was the favorite at school; he's the one who would do problems Jeopardy style.  We had so much fun, and never realized we were learning (and retaining) so much.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I personally plan on taking the 7th grade year to balance a checkbook, teach how to read and complete tax forms, make a budget, and all that jazz.  I started algebra in 7th grade, but I felt over my head with it.  Plus no one ever taught those kinds of things in the PS and it's soooooo important.  I could probably do both, but I'd rather give it some time.

That said, if she's ready, go for it!  You'll take it at her pace unlike my ps teacher, and she'll have the resources she needs!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2014 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

My mother taught me all that stuff during the summers, but I like the idea of making it a school lesson.

Our algebra teacher mostly taught pre-algebra.  He had one class of algebra students and his attitude was that we were so smart that we should be able to figure it out on our own.  Sigh.  When I moved to high school and had algebra 2 the teacher was awesome and I caught right up to where I should have been.

Yep, homeschool is great!  We can take our time, speed up, change gears.  So great!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Awesome plan on the real life math.  Most of the teenagers I know have no clue about any of that.  Hmmm . . . I'll need to add that into my grand master plan somewhere.

Homeschool is so great; I love not having the yearly time restraints so she can take as long as she needs.  I took algebra in the 7th grade too, but was extremely lucky.  Our teacher was the favorite at school; he's the one who would do problems Jeopardy style.  We had so much fun, and never realized we were learning (and retaining) so much.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I personally plan on taking the 7th grade year to balance a checkbook, teach how to read and complete tax forms, make a budget, and all that jazz.  I started algebra in 7th grade, but I felt over my head with it.  Plus no one ever taught those kinds of things in the PS and it's soooooo important.  I could probably do both, but I'd rather give it some time.

That said, if she's ready, go for it!  You'll take it at her pace unlike my ps teacher, and she'll have the resources she needs!

TidewaterClan
by on May. 5, 2014 at 10:05 AM

I know I use simple algebra all the time, especially for shopping/bills.  Not sure when I've used the higher-level stuff either though!  

Quoting Jenn8604: Oh no Algebra was a NIGHTMARE! I never want to see it again. Still have yet to use it in real life Ive never worked to get s on top t on bottom and then reduce and that.
Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting Jenn8604: NEVER!!!! Someone else will have to do that. I barely made a C in algebra. I can't teach it to someone else.

TidewaterClan
by on May. 5, 2014 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Your mom rocks!  I don't think I had that formally until accounting class in college.  Good idea having a concept of how much you have versus how much you can spend before that if possible.

That was a horrible approach, especially with something so new.  I'm glad the II teacher made up for it.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

My mother taught me all that stuff during the summers, but I like the idea of making it a school lesson.

Our algebra teacher mostly taught pre-algebra.  He had one class of algebra students and his attitude was that we were so smart that we should be able to figure it out on our own.  Sigh.  When I moved to high school and had algebra 2 the teacher was awesome and I caught right up to where I should have been.

Yep, homeschool is great!  We can take our time, speed up, change gears.  So great!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2014 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah my mom rocks!!  

You know, I sometimes think that approach was just par for the course.  Some teachers just don't like certain subjects, but are asked to teach them anyway.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Your mom rocks!  I don't think I had that formally until accounting class in college.  Good idea having a concept of how much you have versus how much you can spend before that if possible.

That was a horrible approach, especially with something so new.  I'm glad the II teacher made up for it.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

TidewaterClan
by on May. 5, 2014 at 10:18 AM

I'll bet Missie has a great handle on it this coming year.  If we need to take a step back we can.

Hey - ot, but can you believe Missie is entering the 8th grade?  Haley was just a babe a few minutes ago, and now we're looking the 7th grade right in the eyes.  Where did the time go?  :) 

Quoting mem82: I started Missie on previous Algebra in 6th but actually picked a harder course and gave it to her again in 7th. Now, she is more than ready to start Algebra 1 in 8th grade.

TidewaterClan
by on May. 5, 2014 at 10:22 AM

I think you're right.  Haley was always fantastic in math until the 5th grade.  Her teacher could tear up anything language arts, but her math instruction was confusing.  I had to be patient just so Haley's nerves wouldn't get rattled as we rolled through things.  She's back on track, especially since all the careers she's interested in require great math skills.  That helped her to focus more than any grouching I could have done. :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Yeah my mom rocks!!  

You know, I sometimes think that approach was just par for the course.  Some teachers just don't like certain subjects, but are asked to teach them anyway.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2014 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm so glad she's back on track and ready to start algebra!!  You should be so proud of her!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

I think you're right.  Haley was always fantastic in math until the 5th grade.  Her teacher could tear up anything language arts, but her math instruction was confusing.  I had to be patient just so Haley's nerves wouldn't get rattled as we rolled through things.  She's back on track, especially since all the careers she's interested in require great math skills.  That helped her to focus more than any grouching I could have done. :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Yeah my mom rocks!!  

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN