Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Algebra I - 7th or 8th grade?

Posted by   + Show Post

Hey Ladies!

When do (or have) you plan to start Algebra I with your children?  I purchased Algebra I for Haley's 7th grade next year, since she enjoys all of the pre-algebra math we've done.  She has a good grasp on all of the other math topics, so I think it's safe to move on.  Would there be a reason to stick with 'all-around' math?

by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:20 PM
Replies (21-30):
TidewaterClan
by on May. 5, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Homeschooling really is so wonderful for its flexibility.  Interesting about your children!  I have a few years until my youngest is ready but I'll be interested to see what she is/isn't ready for.

Math projects are a great idea.  I'll have to research and find some that demonstrate the science uses she's interested in.  

Quoting jen2150: 8th grade for us. I didn't start till 9th grade and failed because it went too fast. I had to go back and take pre algebra. Amazing how different homeschooling is than a traditional. I think it depends on the needs of the child. My son wants to take a python class in 8th so we need to do pre algebra in 7th. I don't think there is a right age especially when you are homeschooling. It is very easy to back track when you are homeschooling. I also plan on still doing a lot of math Projects.

TidewaterClan
by on May. 5, 2014 at 10:30 AM

I am!  They've both gone from being shy girls who would never talk in public to confident students who can carry on a conversation with other children and adults on all sorts of topics.  They make eye contact too which they'd never do before.  My mom, the pediatrician, and some of my girlfriends have all noticed.

Sorry to talk your leg off, but the transformation has been amazing!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I'm so glad she's back on track and ready to start algebra!!  You should be so proud of her!

rockinmomto2
by on May. 5, 2014 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids aren't there yet, but I did Algebra I in 8th grade. If she's ready for the work, let her do it. 

jen2150
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2014 at 10:47 AM
There are some wonderful books on amazon for math projects ideas. Pinterest has some great ones as well. Usually we read about a famous mathematician and then they will pick a 3D project. We have also been doing math journals as well. My kids love them.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Homeschooling really is so wonderful for its flexibility.  Interesting about your children!  I have a few years until my youngest is ready but I'll be interested to see what she is/isn't ready for.

Math projects are a great idea.  I'll have to research and find some that demonstrate the science uses she's interested in.  

Quoting jen2150: 8th grade for us. I didn't start till 9th grade and failed because it went too fast. I had to go back and take pre algebra. Amazing how different homeschooling is than a traditional. I think it depends on the needs of the child. My son wants to take a python class in 8th so we need to do pre algebra in 7th. I don't think there is a right age especially when you are homeschooling. It is very easy to back track when you are homeschooling. I also plan on still doing a lot of math Projects.

TidewaterClan
by on May. 5, 2014 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you!  I'll hop on those websites tonight and check them out.  Thanks for sharing the idea and resources.  It makes a huge difference when they can also see things in action instead of words in a book.

Quoting jen2150: There are some wonderful books on amazon for math projects ideas. Pinterest has some great ones as well. Usually we read about a famous mathematician and then they will pick a 3D project. We have also been doing math journals as well. My kids love them.
Quoting TidewaterClan:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2014 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

That is truly amazing and you should totally brag on about it!  Woo hoo!

My oldest was so outgoing before we sent him to school then he stopped talking to waitresses, cashiers, doctors and other adults that would talk to him.  Now he's talking again.  I don't know if it had anything to do with PS, I mean it could have been just a phase; BUT my younger 2 have not gone through that phase.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

I am!  They've both gone from being shy girls who would never talk in public to confident students who can carry on a conversation with other children and adults on all sorts of topics.  They make eye contact too which they'd never do before.  My mom, the pediatrician, and some of my girlfriends have all noticed.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I'm so glad she's back on track and ready to start algebra!!  You should be so proud of her!

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2014 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

No reason to wait if she's ready -- and if she isn't, take two years. 

NeonGirl9583
by on May. 5, 2014 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this
At my school they didn't teach it until tenth grade, but here's a bump for you.
TidewaterClan
by on May. 5, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Thanks!

I'm sure having all the adults at school needing quiet has to have an impact.  I'm glad your oldest is talking again!  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

That is truly amazing and you should totally brag on about it!  Woo hoo!

My oldest was so outgoing before we sent him to school then he stopped talking to waitresses, cashiers, doctors and other adults that would talk to him.  Now he's talking again.  I don't know if it had anything to do with PS, I mean it could have been just a phase; BUT my younger 2 have not gone through that phase.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

TidewaterClan
by on May. 5, 2014 at 1:55 PM

That's what I'm thinking.  Right now we have six years to cover the four pre-calc classes, which really lightens the yearly load.

Quoting JKronrod:

No reason to wait if she's ready -- and if she isn't, take two years. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN