Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Algebra I - 7th or 8th grade?

Posted by   + Show Post

Hey Ladies!

When do (or have) you plan to start Algebra I with your children?  I purchased Algebra I for Haley's 7th grade next year, since she enjoys all of the pre-algebra math we've done.  She has a good grasp on all of the other math topics, so I think it's safe to move on.  Would there be a reason to stick with 'all-around' math?

by on May. 4, 2014 at 7:20 PM
Replies (31-40):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2014 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Kaycee is in 6th and is about 1/5 into her new prealgebra book. Since We will be working some through mosy of the summer, she will probably start algebra 1 maybe around Christmas at a wild guess. She will turn 13 in december.
Knightquester
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2014 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

My second born, 7th grade, just finished Algebra 1 on Aleks and she's done great.  My third will be doing it next year (7th grade) and most likely my fourth will either be doing it as early as 6th grade, depending on how well he does in pre-algebra next year.  

Each child is different and only my eldest struggles in math, the others not only enjoy it but grasp it easily, so they are able to work at a higher level.  For my eldest to keep her confidence up we use Teachingtextbooks, and I let her move a more sedate pace (she's 8th grade and in Algebra 1).  I say if the child can do the work and are able to retain it, then there's no reason to hold them back.

TidewaterClan
by on May. 5, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Haley will be 13 in July when we start up our next year, so they're pretty much on the same track. :)

Quoting KrissyKC: Kaycee is in 6th and is about 1/5 into her new prealgebra book. Since We will be working some through mosy of the summer, she will probably start algebra 1 maybe around Christmas at a wild guess. She will turn 13 in december.

TidewaterClan
by on May. 5, 2014 at 8:57 PM

You must be so proud of them!  You've got it tailored for each of them too.

Thanks; she's doing well, and this will be a break from what she learned in ps. Algebra won't bring back memories of grumpy teachers which will be a good thing.

Quoting Knightquester:

My second born, 7th grade, just finished Algebra 1 on Aleks and she's done great.  My third will be doing it next year (7th grade) and most likely my fourth will either be doing it as early as 6th grade, depending on how well he does in pre-algebra next year.  

Each child is different and only my eldest struggles in math, the others not only enjoy it but grasp it easily, so they are able to work at a higher level.  For my eldest to keep her confidence up we use Teachingtextbooks, and I let her move a more sedate pace (she's 8th grade and in Algebra 1).  I say if the child can do the work and are able to retain it, then there's no reason to hold them back.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Actually working too far ahead can be a blessing or a concern.

When we first started, we made the mistake of being all wrapped up in,"look how smart she is! She is 7 and tested into saxon 6/5!! She must be ready for it!"

She started great, but had so many "maturity" issues and "development" issues that we ended up repeating 6th grade level math two more times using diff curriculum.

We had a ton of issues that I felt we wouldn't have had if we would have at least dropped down one level instead of reaching so far.

Anyway, I share that to say that I commend you for considering that. Its wise to let them excell while still tempering it with what is good for them.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Haley will be 13 in July when we start up our next year, so they're pretty much on the same track. :)

Quoting KrissyKC: Kaycee is in 6th and is about 1/5 into her new prealgebra book. Since We will be working some through mosy of the summer, she will probably start algebra 1 maybe around Christmas at a wild guess. She will turn 13 in december.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on May. 6, 2014 at 7:55 AM
1 mom liked this
DS will start algebra next year, in 7th grade. He did Prealgebra this year and honestly if I had stuck with having him doing the text the way we are doing it right now, he would already be doing algebra now. But he will finish his Prealgebra text and we will start with algebra next year.

I think if they're ready, we move on, that's the point of hsing.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2014 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Side note... I remember taking pre alg in 9th grade because I was NOT doing well in math.

Other kids skipped it and went straight to alg. 1.

I guess it is diff for other curric, but that class was so easy, I was disappointed I took it instead of just going into alg.
TidewaterClan
by on May. 6, 2014 at 5:31 PM

I know what you're saying, and it's good advice (instead of being able to brag to everyone type of thing).  Haley was barely 5 when they had the kindergarten assessment.  Way before I ever thought of homeschool of course!  Anyhow, they recommended her for pre-K because of her shyness & maturity, even though she knew her letters and all of that.  Dh said "no, she's going to kindergarten."  End of kindergarten and she could read just fine but was extremely backwards when it came to any interactions or confidence.  Her wonderful kindergarten teacher recommended holding her back.  Dh said no way, and I told him "no mas, she's going to get that extra year!"  It made a world of difference.  If we need to pull back on algebra we will.  :)  

Quoting KrissyKC: Actually working too far ahead can be a blessing or a concern. When we first started, we made the mistake of being all wrapped up in,"look how smart she is! She is 7 and tested into saxon 6/5!! She must be ready for it!" She started great, but had so many "maturity" issues and "development" issues that we ended up repeating 6th grade level math two more times using diff curriculum. We had a ton of issues that I felt we wouldn't have had if we would have at least dropped down one level instead of reaching so far. Anyway, I share that to say that I commend you for considering that. Its wise to let them excell while still tempering it with what is good for them.
Quoting TidewaterClan:

TidewaterClan
by on May. 6, 2014 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this

We've got some amazing flexibility and choices.  It sounds like he's doing terrific btw!

Quoting TJandKarasMom: DS will start algebra next year, in 7th grade. He did Prealgebra this year and honestly if I had stuck with having him doing the text the way we are doing it right now, he would already be doing algebra now. But he will finish his Prealgebra text and we will start with algebra next year. I think if they're ready, we move on, that's the point of hsing.

TidewaterClan
by on May. 6, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Thank you!  This is really good to know.  She's breezing through all of the pre-algebra in her book now.  We just received the algebra book, and I looked through it.  There are some things towards the back that will be fresh and new, but the beginning chapters are similar to what we're up to now.  I'm excited about it, and I hope she will be too.  

Quoting KrissyKC: Side note... I remember taking pre alg in 9th grade because I was NOT doing well in math. Other kids skipped it and went straight to alg. 1. I guess it is diff for other curric, but that class was so easy, I was disappointed I took it instead of just going into alg.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)