Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Book reports Yay or nay?

Posted by on May. 5, 2014 at 9:19 AM
  • 14 Replies
I am thinking of adding book reports next year. Do you? How many? Do you pick the material?
by on May. 5, 2014 at 9:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:38 AM

I did two a year but to be honest book reports can help kill a love of reading so I'm going to say nay.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:46 AM
I say nay. When my DD reads something, I hear all about it,in excruciating detail,for days.lol. I'm pretty sure her comprehension is there. My DS hates to read and I don't see book reports doing anything but creating boredom and resentment for him, and frustration for me.
hwblyf
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:47 AM

We did a book report fair this year.  I liked it.  It was just for us, so a small fair, but fun to go around and see everyone's big trifold (the ones they use for science fairs) on their books.  One of my sons did a magic book, so he installed a curtain and a stage!

I also have a book report pad from Knock Knock.  Those are fun and simple.  I made the kids add who in the family they thought would enjoy the book.

But by far my favorite way to report on a book that I've ever done, is my star reader corner.  We framed a pic of the kid, framed a pic of the book, and interviewed the reader to find out what they're reading and so on.  I did this over the summers when they were still in ps.  I'm going to have to bring that back, I think.  Maybe change it up a bit and have the kids interview instead of me.  :)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2014 at 10:04 AM

I say nay, we do book walks and we do book projects but no reports.

jen2150
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2014 at 10:51 AM
We do them orally. I am thinking about adding more written summaries for my oldest. He is ready to start writing more. I think book reports can be helpful for some kids. It really depends on the age. I found oral reports to be more beneficial for my boys. It also was done more like a conversation than a report.
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Look up bloom's taxonomy.  They are questions that cover any book and can easily be turned into reports. I'm going to use this from now on.

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2014 at 11:12 AM
Cole really needs to work on his writing.

Quoting jen2150: We do them orally. I am thinking about adding more written summaries for my oldest. He is ready to start writing more. I think book reports can be helpful for some kids. It really depends on the age. I found oral reports to be more beneficial for my boys. It also was done more like a conversation than a report.
JadeTigr7
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 11:20 AM

I say yay only because it's helps in preparation for longer writing projects, and I want my children to be prepared to write long essays or research reports if they so choose to go to college.

kmath
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2014 at 11:35 AM

I think we might add in one or two next year, just to have him prepared to do them if he has to go back to school.

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2014 at 11:39 AM
This is what I worry about.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

I say yay only because it's helps in preparation for longer writing projects, and I want my children to be prepared to write long essays or research reports if they so choose to go to college.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)