Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

All about spelling

Posted by on May. 5, 2014 at 11:47 AM
  • 6 Replies

After long thinking bought ALL ABOUT SPELLING.  It is My first box currculim. I bought level 1.

Any tips for me from those who currently use all about spelling?

by on May. 5, 2014 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
No_Difference
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2014 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

For us, we would review the previous lessons cards immediatly before starting a new lesson, and then at the end of that lesson. We would keep them in review for a full week, even if they get them right, before putting them in the mastered section. I also wouldn't review all the cards until the end of the full week in review. I would mix them up throughout the week. That way it wasn't just memorizing those words, it was also memorizing the concept and rules being taught.  Cards that weren't mastered by the end of the week (really, they would be in the review section for 2 weeks at this point techinically because i was spacing each lesson out over a week), remained in review for another week. All rules cards that went with that lesson remained in review too, even if that was memeorized because I would remind them what rule they needed to follow... At the end of the month, we would go through all the cards that were in the mastered section to see if any of them needed review again.   When it gets to dictation - my little guy hates writing, and my oldest is just a slow writer, so I would break up the "long" list into a few a day throughout the week.  I think its Step 11 where dictation comes in, so I would have Riley on Monday we'd go over the entire lesson, or half of it if it was a long one. Tuesday, we'd review the lesson, and he'd write 3 of the phrases. Wednesday, we'd go over the new words on the board with the tiles, and then he'd write 3 more phrases. Thursday we'd go over any rule breakers if there were any, and work on the "more words" on the board, and do 3 more phrases. Friday, he would write all the new words on paper, and the final three phrases. We were really truly spending no more than 15 minutes on spelling each day, and most of that time was dedicated to him goofing around. 

That has worked for us, but its really just playing around with it to find what works best for you since there is no right or wrong way to go about it...  

julesjerry
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2014 at 1:52 PM

thank you, this helps me.

Precious333
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2014 at 2:00 PM
I do the same. I do modify for my kindergartener though.
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2014 at 2:49 PM

I never used it.

ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on May. 6, 2014 at 3:30 PM

I am using this fall but haven't started yet. I like the way it looks and I'm looking forward to it but I was curious too.

I wonder how often one does a lesson and long it takes to go through a level.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2014 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Download the app for sounds and use it with the lessons so you dont have to take tome sounding it out yoursel
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)