Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Asking for a friend A Beka

Posted by on May. 5, 2014 at 4:56 PM
  • 3 Replies

I have a friend who is looking to homeschool one year, PreK.  Here is her question.  Maybe someone can help me?

"We plan on sending our girls to st James next year for kindergarten and they use a Beka and I don't want them to be behind. So this would be for their K4 program. What other extras might we need to go with the a Beka K4 Kits?"

by on May. 5, 2014 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
melindabelcher
by Mel on May. 5, 2014 at 5:29 PM
Abeka is designed so it doesn't matter if they do k4 or not.
My mom taught at a private school for years they had a preschool program but didn't follow a rigid program since it was ages 2-4 together.
In k5 was their start at abeka and every year the kids did fine. No need for a formal prep.
She should just take the year enjoying exploring, learning letters and numbers through play.
Abeka is to rigid for me and I wouldn't reccomend it for anyone. Esp in elementary years.
melindabelcher
by Mel on May. 5, 2014 at 5:30 PM
Oh to add my son did their k4 program through a private school also
KLove_Mom
by on May. 5, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Library time, with exposure to lots of books. Alphabet books and Number books are great.  
If the library or local mom group has a storytime, it can really help them develop the classroom skill of sitting in a group and listening to a book/lesson instead of always being right in the lap of the reader. 
Other than that, just all the normal things a 4 year old wants to do can be turned into education. Counting blocks to 30, finding different shapes throughout the grocery store, recognizing letters on signs around town and saying their sound, etc.
The other big skill that can be practiced is following a series of 2 and then 3 directions without being repeated. "Wipe you botton, flush the toilet, wash your hands." "Put the toy in the closet, and then  go turn off the light." 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN